Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a great place this is. I just joined. So here is my first post.
A little about me. Just bought a used 14' aluminum boat. Live in Hoffman Estates and would love to start fishing Busse this year. Fished most of my life, but not the last 10 years for many odd reasons. My philosophy is that as long as I'm on the water I've won. Love to fish, but don't really need to catch anything. Just want to be out there.

So, any info would be appreciated, but I'm mainly looking for times and places. What date ranges can we put in and use a personal boat like mine? I've got a trolling motor and oars, so what spots produce fish that won't drain my battery or have me rowing all over the lake? I'm mainly a catch and release fisherman, but I do sometimes keep one for dinner. Are the fish edible out of Busse? Again, any info would be appreciated. I'll check back every few days. Hope to see some of you out there this year. Keep up the great forum.
Thanks.

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Welcome to the site, Joe. You've certainly come to the right place.

Being that you're in Hoffman Estates, Busse Lake will be a convenient and hopefully productive place for you to fish.

Busse is a Cook County Forest Preserve lake and the typical regulations apply. With your trolling motor you'll be fine as no outboards are allowed. But make sure you have everything else in line as they will check from time to time.

The regs are here: http://www.fpdcc.com/tier3.php?content_id=38

You might get some mixed opinions on Busse, but you're going to be pleasantly surprised what a great place it is. It get lots of shore pressure and moderate boating pressure during summer months, but mostly from recreational boaters and fishermen. And with your boat you will be able to access all sorts of places that receive little pressure. With your ow personal watercraft, you're gonna have a blast exploring the place.

As for the fish? Expect very good numbers of walleye and largemouth bass. Number and size of both rank right at the top or near the top for FPD lakes. There are also some nice catfish, bluegill; decent crappie population, and the occasional northern pike. No reason you can't get on 24"+ walleye or 20" bass. They are in there and can are caught.

Selective harvesting for personal consumption is the right of any angler. A good shore lunch is a good shore lunch right? I personally don't eat any seafood so i'm not the best authority on the matter. But that being said, Busse is not a sewer and the water quality reports have always been for from negative. A shore lunch might be better up around the Fox Chain, but a fish from Busse should really be ok. Again, i'm sure others will have opinions on this.

Glad to have you on the site. Like you, it's a pleasure for me to just be on the water - the fish is just the bonus.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Joe,
Is there a specific fish that you will be fishing for? I'm sure there is quite a few people on this site that would be happy to meet you by the boat launch and fish with ya. I had a 14 footer that I brought there several times last year. Had a great time and caught some decent bass too. I sold the boat at the end of last year but wouldn't mind going back out there again some time.
BTW, welcome to the site.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Welcome to the site! :lol:

Busse has a great launch and it is a great local lake to fish by boat. Fishing it from shore really doesn't do it any justice. I would fish areas that look like they can't be fished from shore. Don't be discouraged by all of the shore fisherman(bucketheads). There is plenty of spots that are not pressured at all.

Just my opinion, but I wouldn't eat anything out of Busse.

·
Registered
563 Posts
As mentioned above, watch out for the regulations and extra safety rules that are enforced at busse. The preserve officers can be particularly anal and annoying on that piece of water. :roll: fire-extinguisher and whistle are important to busse dnr.(I feel is kinda silly personally, but alot o people have killed themselves out there so they gotta be cautious)

I wouldnt suggest eating fish outta busse, I have eaten fish outta the fox chain and they tasted pretty scummy and I wont eat em again, I can't imagine how busse fish would taste. If you have eaten fish from more rural cleaner lakes, you wont like the taste of fish from lakes like busse. Panfish probably arent too bad tasting outta there tho, I always throw back gamefish in places like busse anyway to help support the fish poulations as well. Enjoy the exploration.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.