Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lee, Wrench, and I went out to Busse Woods for some fishing and a couple of caches. If you are a cacher, some of the pics below may be spoilers.

The wind was cold while we tried the South Pool at Busse. I gave up on the fishing early and wandered off to locate a couple of caches nearby. The clouds in this first pics are are enough to give you the chills jusgt looking at them.

The guys decided to try a different part of the south pool, and I went to look for the caches nearby. I was lucky to find both caches that I searched for, and even more lucky to find my way back. :oops: I made the FATAL Cacher's error two times in one outing! ALWAYS mark the GPS coords of your car!!!! The caches were not far of the beaten trail thank God.

Yes, the little black spot in the tree hole is a 35mm film canister cache.

The next one was about the same in difficulty and terrain. The trees all look the same, but the GPSR is much more accurate now that they are missing all of their leaves.

Can yoiu see it?

How about now?

Once I had signed the log, I ventured back to the water where the guys were still fishing. Culprit joined the clan at this point.

I was still not into the fishing mood, so while these guys continued to get skunked, and banter about their spawn rods, I cleaned up all of the trash that the bucket heads left laying around. I found and filled two wal-mart bags.

The dam was busy.

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Amazing to see that many at the dam on a cold day like today. Those clouds looked familiar with the only clear skies being found early in the day. Sounds like a day for successful cacheing rather then catching....

·
Registered
308 Posts
Fishing sucked so bad! I miss summer so much. I hate this cold weather nonsense. Summer 80 deg. weather with cold beer and women in bikinis. Oh and active fish that would blow up on a frog like a dynamite explosion. I miss summer.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Rough day fishing ,cold n windy.

The minnow dippers along the dam were catching crappies.

Good time hanging out with u guys n gals yesterday despite the skunkola :D

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cranked said:
What's a cache? Or a cacher? Like a treasure hunt?
The only cache I know about is one that I clean from time to time on my computer and I dont even really know what that is except it makes my pc run a little faster when I clear it.
Those spots look like noodling areas minus the water.
Yes, a cache is like a treasure hunt. It involves using GPS to locate the "treasure", which consists of a log book/paper, and sometimes some trinkets and trash for trading. Caching is known as a winter sport (which helps when the fishing is slow :wink: ). Check out www.geocaching.com to learn more about it. The best part is that it is FREE! You need your own GPSR of course. The best local group of cachers is www.gonil.org if you want to meet other people in the sport. You can cache alone, with your family, or with a group of 50 people. There is a canoe series at Busse called "Cache and Release" that some of you might be interested in :D .

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
That was fun out there, Too bad the fishing totally sucked!!! I was on 1 hour of sleep and somehow was still drunk in the morning... LOL We gotta fish again. But damn was it cold!!! Haha, I also was not dressed for the weather... :x But next time will be better fishin! 8)

Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
fishkid said:
i can see why you werent in the fishing mood. anyways cool stuff you found and nice pics!
Thanks, I just got another brand new camera and I'm still tryin to figure it out.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
JasonN said:
Can't wait to do some caching around Busse. Probably in the next couple of weeks.
Let me know when you are going; maybe a few of us can meet up.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.