Chicago Fishing Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Thanks for telling the good and the bad. No guarantees in ice fishing but just like soft water fishing it keeps ya going back for more!

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Well I took a no bite skunk today. Whether open water or ice everyday is different. I broke my Busse rule and fished the same area I fished yesterday and today it fished different. Yesterday 3 bass on 5 opportunities and no bites today. That's why they call it fishing... :lol:

At sunset I was met by ranger at shore...I guess some Busse visitor called CCFP since someone was "standing in the middle of the lake". I did have a close encounter with a curious coyote crossing the middle of the lake, said it the yote not me. We had a laugh. If someone reports something they have to check it out he said, and being on the ice is okay of course. Was also told there is a record walleye for Illinois swimming around the south pool waiting to be caught. He wouldn't elaborate.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Skifish1 said:
Well I took a no bite skunk today. Whether open water or ice everyday is different. I broke my Busse rule and fished the same area I fished yesterday and today it fished different. Yesterday 3 bass on 5 opportunities and no bites today. That's why they call it fishing... :lol:

At sunset I was met by ranger at shore...I guess some Busse visitogrr called CCFP since someone was "standing in the middle of the lake". I did have a close encounter with a curious coyote crossing the middle of the lake, said it the yote not me. We had a laugh. If someone reports something they have to check it out he said, and being on the ice is okay of course. Was also told there is a record walleye for Illinois swimming around the south pool waiting to be caught. He wouldn't elaborate.
I met that Guy! He called my Rock bass a Smallmouth. :D Beautiful being out there in the Snow. Just Beautiful.

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
George W said:
I met that Guy! He called my Rock bass a Smallmouth. :D Beautiful being out there in the Snow. Just Beautiful.
You bet it was beautiful, beautiful enough that I took a pic when crossing the lake when sun was going down today.

He also told me south pool has monster crappies if you know where to find them..

Attachments

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
I'd be happy with them bass any time of the year! Thanks for sharing and wow, great job keeping after it. It's the dry spells that make the good days worth it! Keep on hammerin' em!

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
I was speaking with a busse vet this past weekend its nice when its cold, your bound to only run into diehards and very seasoned guys. He was kind enough to give me a few pointers. Can never stop learning! He showed me proof of a 17" black crappie out of the main lake. He also said he had a couple pictures in lees.

Who knows what's in there skii. Its about time we discover it though!
Beautiful picture! I use to sit in the same area in ny yak. :D

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
George W said:
Beautiful picture! I use to sit in the same area in ny yak. :D
And with most lots closed you would know its a long drag with sled to get there, and further beyond. I believe there are giant crappies in both pools it would take several years of focus to figure out where they are both in summer and winter.

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
yes, i still exist.:)
Was just re-reading some old posts and thought I'd bump this timely, and old post.
Again, way to go Ski !

Even when I'm not fishing , I just can't turn it completely off.
Already thinking about early Spring.

Fish on!

·
Registered
377 Posts
Spent a lot of time in my old shanty back in the day was a lot of fun but the older I get the more I just dislike the cold

·
Registered
4,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Mr Busse Jim why did you bump this old post lmao. I did pop a couple holes by main dock today probably only 2.5in

·
Registered
2,944 Posts
HA!
So i'd get this.
I did pop a couple holes by main dock today probably only 2.5in

Why ask Why.
Lot of good insight in that old post,.

Hard water, is one soft spot in my fishing, and my records, and I’ve always wondered what goes on under the ice.

I think the crappie thing piqued my curiosity.
Can never stop learning! He showed me proof of a 17" black crappie out of the main lake.
:giggle:
I believe there are giant crappies in both pools it would take several years of focus to figure out where they are both in summer and winter.

Any new insight over the years? Ron would have found them by now.

...But by every February I start thinking about ice out…

21 - 35 of 35 Posts