Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I ended up meeting Rob Busse from this site out there and one of his buddies. We started off at about 11:00am or so and fished the main lake. Did not get any action at our first spot wich was a big hike. So we hiked over to another spot I wanted to try. We were not able to fish it due to a little bit of open water. we were popping holes as we got closer to where we had to fish. I popped a hole on the edge of wat looked like Shaddy ice. It was only an inch thick. So after game planning and figuring out what to do. We made a long hike to another area, noticed some crappy ice and popped some holes. Most of the area was 3-6 inches but where I popped one hole it went right through with just 1 and 1/2 cranks! :shock: We fished there for a little bit then about 4 guys came out and I told them to stop, I don't wanna fall in because you have no clue how thin the ice is. After them not listening to me and me telling them to walk around us. They walk up to Rob and all 4 big guys are standing around him as one said oh 2-3 inches and the ice just makes the biggest nasty pop. They all jump back and I yell at them for there stupidity of not listening to me and us telling them not to come near us. We were saying we dont wanna die because 4 idiots are gonna stand around us. Ofcourse they did not speak english and it scared the hell out of me knowing these guys were not gonna listen. We played it safe and spreaded out before we started fishing, But we would not have been fishing there if any of us were alone. but the guys finally got the point and left. I didn't want to be a dick, but I didn't wanna fall in because some guys dont understand water current and thin ice... These guys had no respect or sense. But after not getting a fish there and only marking some, we headed to the same spot that I got the bluegills, crappies n yellow bass at since the Walleyes were not so promising. "I just don't get the walleyes this year :? " So we went there and ended up for 3 fish before we left, 2 bluegills n 1 crappie. It was a tough outting, especially when the sun started to come out. My confidence dropped even lower. But thats fishing!

Heres a photo of a little hut a Bum or someone built on the shoreline of busse. A beer can was in there, some charcoal n some fresh garbage. Obviously a Bum is sleeping in there. But I had to check it out. Rob sited this last week when he was out. It's pretty cool though.

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the response guys. It was fun and I met 2 great guys out there. They are a blast to fish with.

George, forget the fall run, this spring will be when the steelies will come in full force. Let me know when you want to go. I am gonna try busse a couple more times until the shorline melts too far to get a 10 foot plank out on the ice. Your welcome to join anytime. But for the steelies, I will keep you posted. The Root is at 3.8 right now and coming down fast, when its around 3.0 is when you want to hit it. The ice should be pushing out down river with the rain that we had. Many steelies may have made there way up river. But there is only one way to find out, and thats to make the trip and fish it. I know some other steelheaders that fish it. I can take in reports from them, but they have not been out this spring except for 1 time and they both looked at it and headed home. I can't wait until spring time Bass. I'm already pumped, but I'm not gonna put the ice gear away until its totally done. Let me know if you can maybe make it out this weekend. Maybe I will hit the Root on Friday or Saturday.

Dave

PS: I'm still gonna try Busse for some walleyes, I know we could have gotten them at one of the spots we couldn't fish due to a little open water. I do pretty good there all year round from a boat. I think I waited to long to target them eyes out there. Thats what happens when your hooked on other lakes. But I'm not giving up yet!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys, it was a blast out there. I am going out tomarrow evening and fishing through the night at a different lake in search of some walleyes. I am going to purchase a spud bar tomarrow morning as walking on ice on a lake I have never been on at night can be very dangerous. Thanks for the comments guys!

I think the hut belongs to the Bum I always throw a few bucks when I see him on higgins rd. Theres a few of them that hang out by Higgins and 53 bridge. But I think it might be the one thats really skinny with a gray long beard. I always give him something. LOL hes been hanging around there for over a year now. I gave him 5 bucks that was left on my Dicks Sporting Goods Gift card once n told him to get a drink n a snack on it. Weird guy, but always says God Bless You and Thank You!

Dave

PS: You might notice him with a violet/red color backpack on :wink:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.