Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished the discharge from 11am-1pm. Sunny skies; temps in the 40's, NW winds to 10mph.

Still can't believe how much snow still exists at Busse Woods. There is still snow and ice everywhere! And that helped keep the temps down and the water WAY UP. Very high and dirty water conditions. Action was quite slow. Minnows got me 3 largemouth bass, biggest being 11". And the rest of the WCF gang got a few on crawlers, but nothing big.

Spoke to another angler who said that a guy had caught 2 walleye and a northern pike under the main dam with jig/minnow setup.

·
Registered
136 Posts
JasonN said:
Fished the discharge from 11am-1pm. Sunny skies; temps in the 40's, NW winds to 10mph.

Still can't believe how much snow still exists at Busse Woods. There is still snow and ice everywhere! And that helped keep the temps down and the water WAY UP. Very high and dirty water conditions. Action was quite slow. Minnows got me 3 largemouth bass, biggest being 11". And the rest of the WCF gang got a few on crawlers, but nothing big.

Spoke to another angler who said that a guy had caught 2 walleye and a northern pike under the main dam with jig/minnow setup.
Nice report Jason.
is the main dam the bridge to the wwd ?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Thanks for the report Jason!

I have never caught a walleye in illinois before. I might try below the dam for an hour or so next time I'm out at busse.

·
Registered
421 Posts
The main dam is between the north and south pools inside the forest preserve if you go in off of Higgins. You may want to try for Walleye in the pool down the creek from the discharge by the bridge I've gotten Walleye there before on crawlers laying on the bottom.

·
Registered
421 Posts
There are some big walleye in there,I have seen a guy pull a few out of there thats the only spot he'll fish and he's very good at it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
My brother and I, along with my 7 year old son Augie gave the WDD a try for the first time Saturday. We fished in the afternoon...about 2pm to 4:30. I too was pretty surprised by the amount of snow. The water clarity was bad, but you could still make out fish if you had good polarized glasses. The melt made it really sloppy/muddy...you could tell the veterans by their rubber boots. The WDD was a bit crowded at first, but it seems transient...people constantly coming and going. My brother and I caught one small bass each on nightcrawlers...both were in the 10-11" range, plus a couple of bluegill. My son got skunked unfortunately...he did miss a few bluegill though, so it wasn't a total loss for him. We spent about 15 minutes at the main dam too with no luck.

-bartmandude

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Good to hear you got on some fish, Bartmandude. Usually that water is MUCH lower and super clear. But all the run-off has caused it to be so bad.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Bartmandude, I think I saw you there saturday afternoon. I ended up catching a 12" bass, a crappie, and something one centimeter larger than my minnow. Couldn't really tell what it was. All i remember was when i pulled it up everyone at the rails started cracking up. haha.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
well, it was a beautiful day. the warm sun made up for the slow day of fishing. ended up with 6 bass ranging from 10-12" on crawlers.

boy was it crowded. flashbacks of trout openers at axehead. :shock:

bartman, good to have yeah on wcf. your son Augie must be a strappin young lad! :mrgreen: i'm sure he's one fine angler.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Gither, were you the nice guy who yielded that one spot to Augie and I? If so, thanks for that...much appreciated.

Augy, I thought you'd dig the name :) He is a handsome little fella, and when we fish up in the U.P. for bluegill and rock bass he does indeed knock em dead.

Since I'm a newbie I have a couple of questions for the gang...do you guys pretty much catch fish from the discharge all the way down to the turn, or do they concentrate right at the discharge? I was only able to see fish close to the discharge. There were too many people on the rail, so we went down the right side. I could see small bass JUST over the little drop. Now I'm thinking that normally that little "drop" I'm referrin to was the water's edge on a normal day when the water level isn't so high. Thanks again all for the tips and great info.

-bartmandude

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Twoglasseyes and I fished the WWD this fine late afternoon into evening. Water conditions were the same: high and fast. Temps were in the fifties and the sun was shining strong (until it went down). We only managed a few dinks but enjoyed the weather while making up for the south rock skunk from yesterday. I wanted to try for walleye by the dam but didn't have enough time to get over there before dark. Maybe next time . . . .

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
sean, if you park by the residential track on Cosman rd you could probably fish the discharge a little past dark without having to worry about your car being ticketed and locked in for the night.

BUT, always be careful cause they will occasionally check and if you get caught, they will either ticket you for fishing after hours or worse, arrest you for poaching.

fish at your own risk.

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Augy said:
sean, if you park by the residential track on Cosman rd you could probably fish the discharge a little past dark without having to worry about your car being ticketed and locked in for the night.

BUT, always be careful cause they will occasionally check and if you get caught, they will either ticket you for fishing after hours or worse, arrest you for poaching.

fish at your own risk.
Thanks for the warning augy. With the nice weather I felt like I could have stayed there until midnight. It isn't worth getting the car or me locked up though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.