Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
A fishing buddy was given me intel this week that they were tagging into smallies on a noted river. We gave it a go mostly in vain at the first location and after an hour we just weren't feeling it despite having all the right conditions and pedigree.

At the first location we tried tubes and 3" grubs in the typical spots that have been productive for us over the years. One dink smallie and brookie. It just was wasn't working for us.
20210508_191235.jpg

Made the right call and headed back to our home field 50 miles away. Back wall drew a couple fish.
20210508_191709.jpg

My gal had a good day today. She got this one on a rubber, jointed smiwbait with one trebble hook. I think it's made by Storm, 1 3/8oz, perch colored, has a bill on the front. We used this for musky today with no luck. That back pocket drew this fish.
20210508_191842.jpg

Same ole, same ole but still fun.
20210508_191355.jpg

I told my gal that today was her day to become a woman, I was determined she was going to land her first musky. Ever the dork, I crooned out Urge Overkill's famous number. Ever indignant she shook her head and stared out the window as we drove through the woods to the river. O ye of little faith! God was smiling upon us today as she caused this little ski to strike her gaudy gold sparkle, black tube on 20# braid without a leader. She was actually trying to reel it quickly away from him as she knew it wouldn't likely end well, of course this alpha wasn't going to let that happen on his watch. BTW, this was after we did our room clearing exercise to rid these waters of evil doers with musky gear. I'm usually slow on the draw but there's no substitute for experience to handle this situation with quick actions on both are parts. She kept pressure on hook and quickly steered him to the bank before he fully grasp the situation. I put the musky net quickly to the bottom of the river and in less than 5 seconds the musky was netted and by the 6th second he spit the hook and did some vicious thrashing. I can't emphasize enough, you have your musky net very close by and the handle fully deployed, seconds are critical. In a previous life I think we both worked for the Mossad and were throwing members of Hezbollah quickly into a van on some side street in Beirut, it went that smoothly.
20210508_191411.jpg

Doing my Dallas Comegys to make the ski look big.
20210508_191251.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
This garish old tube, must be 10 years old with a rusty hook but she was very productive today. To be honest I was try to thin my stock of these.
20210508_191220.jpg

In the remains of the day, in my study, I reflected on the day's events with my Northwoods paleo diet and a PBR chaser.
20210508_191136.jpg

Just wasn't enough time, Michael. Just wasn't enough time.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Sweet. Congrats to your gal on the toothy beast!

Dallas Comegys... haven't heard that name since watching DePaul basketball a year or two ago.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Congrats to both of you. Great write up and pics.
Catchafew - you are lucky she goes with you. My wife might sit in a boat to catch some sun, but if the bugs are out or I am shore fishing - nada. Fortunately my daughter will go out with me.

·
Registered
2,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank for the kind words.

I took a 33% pay cut moving north but I was fortunate in my financial situation to make a move. I tired of Illinois, corporate life and my spoiled attitude that fishing spots have to pristine, remote with above average fishing. Winters are long and tough but fishing in the summer is hard too beat with scenery.

You guys are tougher, better anglers than I ever was fishing the hard scrabble waters down there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.