Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm back. I can't believe how fast the week went by. All I can say is that the fishing was unbelievable! We fished the Winnepeg River about 3 hours north of International Falls. I went with my son, my 2 brother-in-laws, my 2 nephews, and my friend and his 2 sons. If anyone gets the chance to go to Canada fishing, just do it! You won't be disappointed. I'm planning on going back in 2 years again.

The camp that we stayed at was on an island which was reached by a 6 mile boat ride from the landing.

Every morning we got on the water by 8 am and fished until noon when our 4 boats met up for the shore lunch.

Most of the morning was spent jigging for Walleye for our lunch. In the afternoon we were back out on the water and fished for northerns and bass mostly casting. We were back to camp by about 5 and had dinner and then went out fishing after dinner without our guides for a few more hours of casting.

We saw a ton of wildlife while we were there.

Lots of bald eagles

Many pelicans

One of three different bears that we saw.

But the best part was the fishing. The others had been there many times before, but they said that this time was by far the best fishing that they had ever seen. We caught a ton of fish. Each day, I must have caught at least 20 northerns. The biggest one that I caught was this 35 incher, but many others were caught that were bigger, 1-39 incher, 1-38, and 1-37.

A 35 incher

A 29 incher

Most of them were more in this size range though.

We caught a few nice sized walleyes too.

One afternoon our guide took my son and I to a secret bass hole where the two of us caught over 100 smallies in a couple of hours.

My nephew caught this nice smallie. My other nephew caught a 22 inch smallie that I don't have a picture of.

In general the scenery was just breath-taking. I can't wait to go back!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
Great trip Tim!!!

I enjoyed all the pics, really nice fish doc! That's cool that there's a place to fish for smallies.

I'm going up to Canada next thursday, I CAN'T WAIT.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
WOW Doc ! u must of been in fishing heavan :shock:
Looks like an awsome time and ya I bet the days and hours just flew by.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys! It was almost like I had died and gone to heaven. I think that one of the reasons that the fishing was so good was because many of the fish were still pre-spawn. I caught walleye and northern when I was throwing tubes in shallow water for bass. Many of the bass that we caught were full of spawn and many of the walleyes were caught in water less than 5 feet deep when we were casting for northerns and bass.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Excellent Doc! It's great to hear you had a fantastic time up there. I just hope someday to experience the great fishing that Canada offers. Great job again!!! :D

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Rudy, where are you and Sean going on Thursday? We were about 50 miles north of Kenora. I think that June is probably the best time to fish up there in my opinion.

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Great stuff, Tim. Thanks for sharing the pics with us. I know my cousin Rich and Uncle Russ have done fly-in trips in Canada before and the experience is supposed to be awesome.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.