Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some times I cant get the hook out when its hooked too deep or if its hooked deep in the toungue.

What is the best thing to do when I cant get the hook out?? What i have been doing is just cutting the line as close to the eye of the hook as possible and allow the fish to live another day...

I heard from someone that event though a fish still has a hook caught in its mouth, that the fishes body can naturally remove the hook....is this true??

·
Registered
161 Posts
what I usually do is use wire cutters to cut the shank of the hook and pull the point end out of the fish. :wink: thats if the hook point is visible. and if your gonna cut the line anyway you might as well just cut the hook. if not then i just cut the line closest to the hook and hope for the best. also, I know of people filing down the barb of the hook so they can get the hook out on deep sets. today's hooks are so corrosion resistant they may not dissolve like the old hooks use too :D .

·
Registered
382 Posts
You should probably have a pair of pliers with you, just squeeze down the barb. I do it for 2 reasons...
1) Easier to remove
2) If I hook myself or someone else on some weird accident, it's gonna be a whole lot easier removing the hook from a hand/neck/scalp without a barb.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
The hook is not going to disslove.

Cutting it off as close as possible and just leaving the tip in seems like the best option. If I had a giant hook stuck in me I would prefer to have just the tip in me opposed to having the entire hook still attached to it.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Deeply hooked fish are one of the problems with using livebait and one of the reasons why I have stopped using it. The hooks do not dissolve very quickly, but sometimes the fish will pass them over time. I remember seeing a bass at the WWD a few years ago that had a hook coming out of it's a$$.

Anyway, I try to cut the line and bend the hook out the gill on the side that it is hooked on. I remember reading about this on the internet a few years back and I can attest to the fact that it usually works pretty well. I will try to see if I can find a link to that article.

·
Registered
161 Posts
i don't know doc. easier said than done. i'll try it as i know what there trying to do and in a perfect world that hook pops out with minimal damage to the gullet.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Hey! I posted that a few years back! :lol: Actually, it's not near as hard as you might think once you get used to doing it, even with barbs though it is much, much easier and less damaging without them. Keep working at it. Easiest thing to do is have a pair of needle-nose handy, snip the line close, reach in carefully through the gills but next to the body, grab on as close to the bend as you can and roll it out with the hook eye and shank going out through the gills. Works super easy once you get the hang of it.

Most better hooks will not dissolve in the fish. I've seen several fish trying to pass them and it ain't pretty :shock: literally rips 'em a new one :lol: :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.