Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went out last weekend and casted my arm off with a spinner- no dice- but some small bass chased it - the skunk that day.
If anyone doubts that Beck has Carp - I can assure you it has some very large ones . I think I was there during some sort of spawning activity since the shoreline areas adjacent to the boat ramp had dozens of large carp boiling the water up big time- saw several pods of 5-7 fish each. I think they scared away everything else!
Oh and seeing a Loon on the lake was a treat too- he ( or she?? ) has been there all last week in the mornings- never saw one this far south ( Chicagoland )- it had chowed on a foot long fish of some kind so food is probably keeping it here.
I'll be going out again this weekend- think I'll try for some crappies since I'm a shore bound angler right now....oh- when do the bluegills start appearing? My Mom loves to catch fish and those used to be old reliables on Beck 30 years ago...... ( yup- I first fished Beck in the mid 70's )

·
Registered
197 Posts
Theres been a few Cormorants out fishin as well. The Carp are still in Spawn mode, flopping all over the place.

WARNING - The area to the left of the ramp has a couple water moccasins cruising around!! About 4-5ft long - use caution!

·
Registered
513 Posts
Water moccasins? In the NW Burbs of Chicago?

·
Registered
94 Posts
I just read up on water mocs. Northern illinois is outside their range.

I typed poisonous snakes in illinois and one of the links said
"Q. Do any of them live in Cook County ?
A. Yes. A few massasaugas are native in northeastern Cook County.
The common water snakes of this region are not "water moccasins. ""

So just water snakes then. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Ya. I was at busse and a boy caught one. It was about two feet long and he thought it was a garter snake but it didn't seem like any that I ever caught in the pond in Round Lake growing up.

Water moccasins statistically arent that aggressive from reading on wikipedia

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.