Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one ever catch a 25+ pounder at Chigago River. I dont know about you guys but i dont like fishing for carp unless i have a chance for a huge one. And now that i think about i've never caught anything over 10 pds there. Maybe im in the worng spots for larger carp as they all seem to be around 5 - 10 Pds. any advice? Maybe Boilies?

But if you'll just drive up the road a little ways to montrose harbor one can really catch some huge ones.
If you can wait out all of the gobies that will undoubtabley take your corn, the huge ones will move in if you're feeding right. Any thoughts?

Cliff

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I caught carp out of the chicago river through Sept-Oct of 08'. Avg. is probably 6 to 10 pounds but I've caught 3 or 4 that were above 15#.

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah that seems to be the avg. size for the chi-river. fox too they must run small for some reason. Lincoln park lagoon is a good place to get huge ones. i would say the avg fish is 12-14 pds. and montrose too

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
yeah i plan on trying at montrose this year. never have fished there yet but have seen some video of some huge carp down there.

B

·
Registered
95 Posts
paul from wackerbait caught a 38lbs carp out of the chi river a few weeks ago. it was in the sun times weds fishing report. I've got them to 25 in lincolin park lagoon. the biggest fish I ever seen swimming was a carp at the old dean mitchell plant in gary, it was pushing 50!! seen them all in there spawning. it looked like a 55 gallon drum with fins! man I miss that place, I never caught more browns in my life than that place!

Joe

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
DPRFisherman said:
actualy if your tergeting carp give burnham harbor a go because when i went there, there were a ton a carp hanging by the edge of the walls they looked so easy to snag im think treble hook with somekinda weight or weights
terrible idea to promote :roll: come on now!

·
Registered
95 Posts
call it being an ass........snaggers suck. thats all snaggers. I'm passionate about fishing and snagging goes against everything I believe in with this sport. but if that is what you want to do, there are plenty of them in the harbors in the fall you'll fit right in. :lol:

mplant, maybe its just us?????????

Joe

·
Banned
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would never fish like that. Takes the fun out of it.

Anyways me and my buddy are thinking of going fishing this weekend. High temps will be nice. Were thinking Chi-River for Carp and maybe throwing some jigs for crappie. Any suggestions on a good spot for that? or a general vecinity?? I was thinking Kedzie and BrynMahr behind the school..

Cliff

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Snagging looks boring. I am considering carp fishing with an old ski pole this spring. Either that or a frog gigging rod. Beck lake is my target. No release, of course. There are always plenty of guys at Beck that would love to take a few carp home.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Look, with the whole snagging thing ...

Personally, I have no problem with snaggers in the designated locations and during designated seasons.

For example - if there were no snaggers in the lincoln park lagoon pulling out those nasty, moldy, black salmon in late october - dec, those fish would eventually just die there and rot away. Let the snaggers pull those fish out. As long as they are law abiding, I have no beefs.

However, when it comes to snagging illegally, or promoting the idea of snagging illegally (i.e. snagging carp in the harbors or any other fish in the harbors), it bothers me. I've seen illegal snaggers try to snag bass of their beds in the harbors. Way wrong, and not cool. And yes, I will say something online about it if someone promotes the idea of illegally snagging fish. If you have a problem with it, shoot me a PM and we'll keep it private

Mike

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.