Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best bait to use for carp without making something? I have a friend who catches them of marshmellows. i use corn and went carping 10 times already and only caught two. I am chumming too.

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
CORN Corn Allows you a lot of versatility, It works for all species of Carp and gold fish and You can use it in Almost EVERY Situation. A lot of Anglers bait TOO much, Half a Hand full is Fine, Unless Fishing a Waterfall or discharge area Don't bait at all As carp already hang in the area. Line Plays a Bigger part in Carp fishing then anything else I think, in clear waters especially. Thin diameter no matter the Line type.

Bread
bread is my fall choice, for some Reason I have Tons of luck with white bread in the Fall. If fishing's slow Carry a bottle of strawberry syrup.. Soak the bread in it after you've baited your hook And Fishing should pick up pretty quickly :mrgreen:

Don't give up on the corn though, And make Sure it's WHOLE KERNEL SWEET CORN.

I'd go further in depth... :D

But who Has the time.. :roll: :cry:

- Geo

·
Registered
560 Posts
carp are smarter than most people think. They can sense the line and as soon as they feel that hook they will spit it. I found the most luck I have had with carp is to use a tiny hook with corn off the bottom. I have pulled some monsters with that like george said. I have caught carp with nightcrawlers too. Goodluck!!

·
Registered
308 Posts
I saw the funniest thing at a bait shop down south. Gulp makes the corn imitation for carp for $5.99. There was a can of real corn sitting next to it for $.89. What's the sense in that! I'll soak the corn in brown sugar and vanilla for extra flavoring and that's it! When the blackberries are out I'll use a hook, berry with no sinker. I'll throw it right under a shady tree. The Carp love those berries. I hook most of my carp baits with a carolina rig and a circle hook at the end. When I get a bite, I feed line out until I'm positive they have it. Just tighten down on the line. No hook set with circle hooks.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
caught a lot of them with corn. whole kernel sweet corn for sure. Dicks has that Gulp corn for like 5 bucks like Big Bass Lee was saying. rip off. anything sweet but generic corn is cheap and works really good.

·
Registered
32 Posts
One thing that I have had great success doing but is reliant on a few things to work right is floating a half piece of bread on the surface with a hook worked into the bread to keep it from falling off. The way I do this is tear off a piece of bread, make sure its soft and not getting crumbly. Thread the hook through the crust and run some line and hide the hook a bit by sinking it through the middle of the bread. The best way to get it out is to just unwind a lot of line from the reel and being gentle, toss it out kind of like a frisbee to get it out a good distance. This is important because the farther out you get it the less likely the bluegill are to eat it up before a carp comes along and finds it.

This works on smaller lakes and mid sized ponds that have a good amount of people who visit. A couple of the small lakes I used to fish at about the size of axehead had some monster carp who weren't afraid to go after food floating on the surface. Caught a monster 25 lbs carp using this method and many in the 10-20 lbs range as well.

Now the things that you have to rely on to be right. Ducks and geese need to be far away. If there are any nearby don't bother as they will come right for it and you will have to work quickly to make sure they don't get hooked. As I said before, if you don't get it out far enough the bluegills will eat it up before a carp even has the chance. It works best on days when the wind isn't blowing in towards you or if you are in a spot where the wind carries it out away from the shore.

I usually take the other half and break it up into even smaller pieces and throw them out around my baited piece of bread and if carp are around they are usually all over it. It is kind of cool because they seem to almost inhale the bread and usually results in landing it every time, I don't recall ever having a spit hook. I have had a few snapped lines and even one hook that bent almost straight from a monster that was much bigger than the gear I was using. It has worked much better than bottomfishing for me but then again the lakes I used this at were small and had a decent amount of traffic so if you are trying to carp fish at a much quieter area I don't think this will work as well. If you try this I hope it works for you. I prefer bass fishing but I can appreciate the fight a good carp puts up.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I dont carp fish much. But the only time I ever catch them successfully is when I use very small hooks and corn on the bottom with no weight. A hook so small that it basically fits entirely in the kernel so they dont feel it when they pick it up. I use a small bobber to indicate if the line is moving. Also use 6 lb line or lighter. If they sense any line, tension, or hook at all they shy away, and its fun to battle em on light line.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.