Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Casting setup

3K views 23 replies 12 participants last post by  toothdoc 
#1 ·
So for the past few months I've been debating whether or not to purchase a casting rod and reel. After reading and hearing so many horror stories of backlash and bird's nests I am starting to wonder if this is for me. I do alot of casting crankbaits and the like for bass, pike, and hopefully get more into muskie fishing this upcoming spring. I would like to find out a few advantages and disadvantages that come with the casting setup; ie difficulty of operation, casting distances, performance, etc. If I were to decide to purchase a casting setup what suggestions can you guys give me as I would not be trying to spend more than $150 on my first casting setup? Thanks in advance, Mark.

#2 ·
I work at the reel bar at Cabela's. $150 for a combo is a good place to start. it has been my experience that you really get what you pay for with a casting reel. You sound like you have done enough research already. What you really need to decide is if you want a magnetic anti-backlash or a centrifugal. you also need to decide if weight and line capacity is a factor. Baitcasting reels can be a wonderful tool if you are willing to get out in the yard and practice casting. It takes a little bit of patients to train your thumb and get used to the rod and reel. A baitcasting rod is much less forgiving that a spinning rod.

#3 ·
It definitely sounds to me like you are ready to step up to baitcasting for heavier lures and bigger fish. Spinning reels are for more finesse fishing.

If $150 is your price limit, I would suggest that you at least get a $100 reel. That doesn't mean that you need to spend $100 on it if you get it on sale. It's just that I feel that is the minimum amount to spend on a quality baitcaster that will give you less headaches. Most people try to go cheap on the reel and that is why they end up with a lot of backlashes.

Then it is just a matter of practice. Get a casting plug and start out throwing that in your backyard. Stick with heavier baits until you get the hang of it. Pretty soon you should be able to throw lures not only further with the baitcaster, but also more accurately.

#4 ·
Mark,

I go with the Shimano Citica. Its around $100. Smooth and it cast far. When practicing dont forget to adjust the magnetics on the side of the reeel to control the free spool which can help prevent back lashes. Adjust as your skills gets better.

Oh Peewee welcome to WCF!

#5 ·
Thanks for the quick replies guys. Toothdoc that's what I was thinking as BPS has some Browning rods on sale for $35 down from $60 and then using the remaining $115 or so on the reel to try to minimize those headaches. Larry I checked out that Shimano, looks pretty nice. I've also been reading alot about the Ambassadors and they tend to have pretty good reviews as well. Would you guys suggest a low profile or the older round versions?

#6 ·
Welcome to site!!

I second the Citica recommendation. I have one and I love it and on top of that Shimano has a rebate on that reel right now that brings it below $100. Then you still have enough money for a decent rod.

Now, if you are going to buy a decent musky setup then you should plan on spending a bit more. You could get a Pete Maina combo from Bass Pro for less than $200 I believe, but there are better, although more expensive, options out there. I have 2 musky setups that cost an average of $300 so it's not a cheap pursuit and that's before buying many $15 to $20 lures.

Good luck in search and on the water this year. Let us know how you do.

#10 ·
Definitely go with a low profile setup. Easier to palm. I would look at the Abu Garcia Revo S, it has centrifrugal brakes. The SX has magnetic, but is more $ than your budget. Basscaster has a Revo S I believe. The Shimano Citica is a good reel and right now Shimano is running a rebate on their reels. If you can wait until March, BPS has their Spring Classic sale and they have $ off of reels if you bring in an old reel as a trade in. :wink:

#11 ·
I thought it would be too hard too, but i tried and im hooked! I started on a $50 quantum bill dance combo w/ magnetic assist. The rod was garbage, but the reel still works great. I upgraded to a quantum kvd with the exterior adjustable type centrifugal set up. I actually like the cheap bill dance better than the kvd for really light stuff. :roll: This spring my goal is to find a better version of the dance one. I was looking at some shimanos, and would love to get one but i am also hooked on left handed models now, and that severely limits my choices.
When you are practicing start heavy (like 1/2, 3/8, then 1/4). Keep adjusting, and work your way down. I can get more distance on a 1/8oz bait than i can on a spinning rig, and have great distance and aim. It will take a lot of practice and a lot of picking out/cutting out overruns, but the end result is awesome.

#12 ·
I was where you are at now, last summer. I got a Shimano Calyx baitcaster off of ebay for $30 and Coren's hooked me up with a used Bill Dance baitcast rod. Just wanted to do it on cheap to see if I liked it.

I wall admit I got pretty frustrated the first few times out. Buy yourself a big roll of cheap 10lb test to make your life a little easier the first few weeks.

I got hooked trying the salmon run on the lakefront this fall. Nothing like casting, casting, casting to get your casting down.

This Christmas I stepped up and bought a Shimano Curado and a Shimano Compre. Can't wait to get out there.

Now i'm hooked. Its definitely worth the effort.

Go for it.

#18 ·
So what are the differences between the centrifugal and magnetic brakes
One uses a magnet to slow down the spool. I think the gap between the stationary and moving pieces must change, allowing the magnet to create more or less resistance.
The other uses little tabs that shift outward off the rotating piece onto a sort of brake drum. The more tabs that are set to "throw out" as it spins, the more resistance. The shimanos i have seen are adjusted by openeing the side of the reel and actually changing how many tabs get thrown out against the "drum". The quantums are adjusted via a switch that allows 3, 6, or 9 tabs to be thrown out. It is very similar to drum brakes on a car(if you had 9 pads in eash drum and you could control how many of them are being used)

For my next reel i want a higher quality magnetic drag. My cheap reel is magnetic and, as i said, i love it more than my vandamm.

Anyone know of a $100-$200 baitcaster that is the magnetic style and is available in left handed? I also really like quantum because you can flip the button back up to lock it up. Anyone know what im talking about? All other brands I have seen, you have to crank it to lock it up.

#21 ·
I have both, but prefer the magnetic. Although, once you adjust the centrifugal brakes and get used to it, you rarely need to change the settings. I think that most of the Shimano reels are centrifugal.

Rudy, are you referring to a flipping switch?

#23 ·
For learning, I bought a "cheapie" combo last fall: Shakespere Dimension reel and Cabela's Tourney Trail 6' 6" rod. And for $50, it actually performs pretty well. I was sending a 1/4oz plug/lure around 150' after a couple days of practice. I don't beleive the reel would stand up to rigorus fishing, but I really like that rod, and will put a better reel on this summer to use.

How about the Cabela's Prodigy reel? Regularly $100, they're on sale now for $65.00. Magnetic backlash control w/microclick adjustment. Made by Daiwa for Cabelas, and comes in left handed models. And I think you can get a really decent rod to pair it with for $80 then.

Just my two cents...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.