Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
For channel cats, it is handown chicken liver for me. I have some buddies that are diehard stinkbait guys, but when I'm out with them it tends to get more action, but smaller fish. For the flatties, I like to catch bait out of the system and try to match their forage. On the Fox it seems to work much better then store bought bait for us. For the coolers it does not seem to matter. We catch them on everything live and artificial. Augman, who visits this site occasionally even caught 2 monster blues last year throwing flukes for bass on Lasalle.

·
Registered
597 Posts
i personally use it all, nightcrawlers, dead fish, alive fish, stink bait, hot dogs, italian sasuage, polish sausage. My favorite would probally be hot dogs or stink bait sitting on or close to the bottom.

·
Registered
126 Posts
hah, whatever i put in the water seems to work... i've caught them on spinnerbaits, crankbaits, plastic worms, and even buzzbaits! if i did fish for them (which i never do) i would use some nightcrawlers... can't go wrong.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ya, That's what i thought theres so many things to catch them off of.

Noramly a worm, or stink bait work great.

And buzzbait... :shock: wtf no way lol

but very nice.

Can't wait to hit up the spot by my house for some monster cat's

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
I always turn to the chicken livers when fishing for cats. I don't do alot of catfishing anymore except for the occasional drift on the kank. I agree with Legend tho.....your hands, cooler, reel do get a bit messy and the smell is a bit pungent. I have a separate cooler, reel, rod that I use for that stuff and they stay out in the garage. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
dubs justin said:
ha, nice man. Ya I dont like using the livers just for that reason some with stank.
I hear you, I hate that stank too. I normally try to use wash my hands off in the water after touching it and I also bring a rag to keep the reel wiped down. I really thought the liver was bad until I started using skein on Lake Michigan. When that stuff dries it is like glue and the stank seems to linger well after washing my hands and equipment.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Chicken livers and cut bait are the standard bait for me when going
for the cats,but my youngest son caught the biggest cat last year
with a piece of crawler about a half inch long while trying to catch
more bait for the CATS!! 8) 8)

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
FishinMatt said:
dubs justin said:
ha, nice man. Ya I dont like using the livers just for that reason some with stank.
I hear you, I hate that stank too. I normally try to use wash my hands off in the water after touching it and I also bring a rag to keep the reel wiped down. I really thought the liver was bad until I started using skein on Lake Michigan. When that stuff dries it is like glue and the stank seems to linger well after washing my hands and equipment.
I hear ya Matt. Skein is worst to handle than liver.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.