Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone been up in the area of the chain to see whether they have ice and how much?
I was thinking about possibly hitting a couple channels up there this weekend and thought they might have a few inches after this week temp drop.

Maybe I need to call Triangle.

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Just saw on LL that Nielsens has 3 inches. Lots of small gills were reported as usual, warmouth, and small crappies as well...

·
Registered
748 Posts
Was up their thursday.lakes were iced over.no fisherman yet.If you got the wisc. lic Elizabeth is usually the first lake to be safe.or Camp lake.Both are right over the border .Rock lake might be ready soon,remember snow on the ice donit help.

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah I'm a bit sketchy all the way up to 4 inches of ice so y'all are a bit more brave(crazy?) then me. Of course the shallower channels up on the chain may not be such a threat even with 3" so I may give you a call Eye. I was thinking of seriously going up there this weekend depending on what the weather holds for us.

I know that Nielsens is a popular place for first ice year after year but all I ever hear are reports of small gills and crappies. I never hear that place producing anything larger then potato chips. Why is it so popular then?
Of course there is the thought that bigger ones are being had but publicity will only bring out the masses.

Oldsalt you made a good point with snow on the ice...it's supposed to snow again tomorrow which could cause some issues with insulating the thin ice. I think that with the consistent temps forecasted for this week tho that we should have some decent ice up there.
As far as the Wisconsin idea, it takes me over an hour to get to the chain destinations and that's enough for me. I'll probably take a road trip to northern Wisconsin for a long weekend but that's about it. Thank you for the suggestion tho.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.