Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you seen those ads to donate your boat to get tax deductions? Well a bunch of them are on ebay. I know alot must have problems to be donated in the first place, but theres so many at once theres a glut so they are cheap. Like big boats with over 100 hp that supposedly have minor issues for like 1500? I noticed them by looking at boats and within 200 miles.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Slider
I have checked it out in the past.
Things to look out for.
Fiberglass I would be Leary. Mostly rotten wood in the deck and transom.
Aluminium is safe. Riveted is better than welded.
Motor, water pump, lower end has water in it or cracked, starter, points and plugs, compression, prop.
Out boards are expensive to repair.
I would advise OMC or Merc. Parts are less expensive and easier to get.
I bought a 1960 for 600 bucks with a partner and dumped at least grand into it. Looked pretty cool but then my partner blew the rings and it's been sitting in my back yard ever since. I will never recoup my investment. A boat is a hole in the water that you dump money into.
If some one donated a boat it is because they wanted to get rid of it and couldn't sell it. So they took the tax deduction instead. I would check Craigslist. Lot of people trying to dump things to generate money to save there house or pay bills.
It is a buyers market thanks to our government.
There are some good deals on ebay, but the bidding can be tough and there are some real sharks out there.
If you can work on it yourself you can save some bucks. But I would plan on spend at least 50 cent for every dollar you spend to buy it. Then there is the title and registration for the boat and trailer. Also tax on the boat.
Don't want to burst your bubble, it is just experience talking.
Good luck
LUV2FISH

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Lots of people let older boats sit outside uncovered untill they are junk. Then they realize that they have no way to dispose of it. They would have to pay a dump to take it, and that isnt cheap. So they try and get someone to buy their "project boat" with "minor issues" for rediculously cheap. Then you find out its a ruined hull, and you have a new lawn ornament. Its an old, old story.

I appreciate the guys that admit a boat is pretty much useless, and advertise it as "free trailer.... if you take away the boat thats sitting on it"

·
Registered
748 Posts
You got to watch the motors if not run for a year or more it is a problem.carb rebulid,but also the water pump takes a set,and if you replace the pump,replace the shaft seals If you do this yourself fine,,have it done not cheap and they are never in a hurry,then you got the trailer,rust,bad tires ,rotten wiring,etc,you can make a good boat out of one of them,but do thw work yourself

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The place selling them isnt trying to scam, they list the condition, check the motor and list the compression and such. I agree with you guys completely though, they are going to be project boats, but I still think they are selling for cheap just because theres too many at once and that doesnt work for auctions. If I see a nice 12-14 aluminum in good shape Ill be on it though. The seller is Rawhide a charity organization for kids or something? Also- does the sun really ruin fiberglas boats or can you just do repairs to cracks and gelcoat/paint it?

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Also- does the sun really ruin fiberglas boats or can you just do repairs to cracks and gelcoat/paint it?
First off, the sun ruining the fiberglass on an outdoor stored boat is the least of your worries. :lol:
Fiberglass work is insanely expensive to have done, and learing to do it takes pactice and a TON of time and workspace. Fiberglass is easy to make structuraly sound, but it takes a lot of work to make it look anywhere near decent. I have done a few repairs on fiberglass, and will think twice before I get into that again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.