Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Any more updates from anyone? I'm a city guy, and if the bite heats up on the NSC or north branch, I would be able to get out and fish waaaaay more during the week since it's dark at like 6:00 now (soon to be 5:00, then 4:45, followed by 4:30, etc [ad nauseum]).

EDIT: Just read my post, and didn't want to come across wrong, like I'm going to wait on a good report and cherry pick when someone puts the time in. I'll more than likely get out and shore fish a few spots on the river over the next month or so, regardless of the reports -- was just curious if my efforts would be better elsewhere.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Anybody hit the river recently or plan to soon? I'm wondering if the baitfish and panfish explosion is the reason for the recent decline in fishing the river, as everything I've read over the past couple years indicates the river habitat is improving tremendously. Hard to sell spam in a steakhouse.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Just thought I'd chime in on this topic and see what shakes. I know this time of year the Chi river is typically bad for fishing anyway, but I have read many things over the summer that talk about how clean the river is getting -- in fact, Friends of the River is already planning areas for wading and swimming, and say that within five years for sure it will be safe to swim in, and that bacteria levels are already there as far as safety. They pretty much just have to finish a few sewer/drainage overflow projects, and the river will no longer be a "dump," literally. Question is, how will this affect the fishing?? I haven't fished the river in the past year, even though it's the closest waters to me, but my gut tells me that it's loaded with fish, but that they mostly have lockjaw to lures and artificial presentations, due to the amount of forage. I'm hoping the cycle of good/bad fishing is on the incline for the river, because the urban fishing experience there is so unique, much less the proximity. I just don't want it to garner the reputation of, say, a Tampier, where the fish management is so far off and the fishing suffers.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts