Chicago Fishing Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Re the vintage wcf Geo post from 2008- I haven't had the pleasure of meeting him but I do believe him could pull a whale outta the Chicago river if he wanted to - and on an ultralight! That being said, still doesn't prove there are rainbow trout in there.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I really enjoy it when new members dredge up old posts. It's almost like a trip in Mr. Peabody's Wayback machine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've fished the river (branch near Foster) and have been skunked this fall. No hits - worms, jigs, flukes, spinners, even top water. I've read that this is typically one of the best spots in the Chicago River, but it's been slow. Any ideas on the north side that's kid friendly to pull in blue gills or crappies?

·
Registered
7,730 Posts
You need to start dragging mini tubes or small jig up the bank opposite of the river confluence at River Park. I would say spring and summer really focus on dragging those small baits through the riffles where the rivers merge. Quite a few crappies and largemouth in that area at times. Also try for Crappie and bass at the Wilmette Harbor and Lock.

·
Registered
274 Posts
joetrain said:
Try the North Shore channel in Skokie.
~JOE~
Time to dredge up this post again! :wink: I've heard the Channel can be good but I've never figured out how to access it in the Skokie area (around the Sculpture Park). I know the trail that goes along there but it all looks like a steep bank with no water level access. I've tried the channel near where Lincoln crosses over Peterson. There's a ramp off a parking lot there. Only been there a few times and never caught anything. I'll have to do some exploring around Skokie.

·
Registered
5,760 Posts
cyanatic said:
I know the trail that goes along there but it all looks like a steep bank with no water level access.
In the old days you'd have to put your thinking cap on and ask yourself "What would James Bond do?" That was short-lived and replaced by "What would MacGyver do?" The proper question for this would be be "What would skifish do?".

He would ride that kayak down that steep bank at 30 mph, dodging tress and shopping carts. Probably would leave a winch attached to a tree to get himself out when done fishing.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
You need to pay better attention to WCF posts. GEO posted a video about NS Channel crappies a few months back. Put his kayak in the channel at an access point on the east side north of Oakton.

21 - 33 of 33 Posts