Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went out to the Chicago River on saturday afternoon for 3.5 hours, and WOW the water was HIGH! That's 6 feeet high at Peterson and Lincoln!! My chartreuse spinnerbait disappeared about 4 - 6 inches below the surface... = MUDDY!! They HAD TO HAVE closed the 'locks' downtown, because for the first time I can recall, the river had a neutral to REVERSE flow!! I watched the same 40oz'er bottle going 100 yards UPRIVER several times, and the water never dropped an inch. I cast to EVERY piece of cover/wall/bush/grassline/eddy/channel break and water color change/mudline for a 200+ yard stretch on the east side of the river, as the "WESTSIDE!!" was all but inaccessible. I would like to have/should have fished at the Devon Ave. Bridge, but the the fact I was soaked through with the on again/off again driving rain, and the fast approaching darkness, helped preempt a move. I fished black and blue Jig-n-Pigs, Chartreuse and Black Colorado Bladed Spinnerbaits, Shallow/Deep and Thin/Fat Bodied Crankbaits, but to no avail... but I did get in some great 'casting practice' , as well as checked the 'water absorbtion rate' of the Rain/Skin relationship! LOL!! Fishing should improve GREATLY once the water stops falling and then clears. I hope to get out this coming weekend as well, MINUS 35 degrees wind chill being the "fuckitall" exception.... BE SAFE OUT THERE!!! -Alex

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's been flowing South and then East into the lake since then, but was flowing NORTH (at least the North Shore Channel was, and I'm sure at the North Branch 'waterfall/dam' at Foster it was STOOOOOPID!) ....I don't know about the inverse for the South arm...anybody know???)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Ah, I guess if you were north near Foster that would explain it. Yeah, it flows "normally" up there towards the lake, then takes a re-route via the sanitary canal (nice name, huh?) because instead of dumping out into LM (source of our drinking water) we send it down state (not our problem anymore!!)

·
Registered
400 Posts
I learned something new today. Thanks for the info on the river flow, it was actually interesting. :D

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
koolaid2313 said:
I learned something new today. Thanks for the info on the river flow, it was actually interesting. :D
Yea, it might've been the only useful piece of information from my 8th grade. We took a field trip to the Chicago River and played in the mud, took ph levels, and all that fun stuff. For whatever reason, I really got a kick out of how we solved our sanitation problems by making it someone else's!!

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
re: douche bag... my 'aquaintance', the owner/mod/profhag of this website, bequeathed me with this special honor, because, well, in his words (and mine! LMAO!!) I'm "SPECIAL" :shock: ... as in Special-Ed....... (absolutely NO disrespect to those with family members that are/or need special education :oops: ) === K-ran , that's what I'm all about, spreading the K-no-ledge (and if a certain person that will remain un-named [Jason :idea: ] would let me finish a damn sentence once in a while (and actually listen :p) he might learn something too!! (HI BUDDY!!! :lol: )

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Great thread :mrgreen:

They do this from time to time, It's no biggie once it resides just a few feet you can hit suspended bass near Drop offs On Lip less Cranks. Before when the flow was reversed this and past years The river seemed to push all the fish along the shore Literally up on the bank And I'd hit them with plastics or deep diving cranks banging the bottom in like 2-3 feet of water along the shore. This winter So far is looking a lot like 2006's And if So... We'll be banging bass all winter like I did then. I fished all January and February in light sweaters. Hopefully so It would sure be nice :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

also Once before when the river was reversed Back to it's original form as it was this particular day A lot of nice fish moved up towards this way I assume going by the Feeding up river theory, Walleye, Northern All were seen or caught. when the river is reversed like it has A lot of good fish move over here so Enjoy!!!

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

LETS GO GET 'EM~~!!

this High water will help most of our fisheries not JUST the chicago river so if you can't make it out to this local river then hit yours for some good fishing!!

George

:wink:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Any thoughts on how long it is going to take for the water to reside a bit. I'm on break for the rest of the week and was hoping to get out sometime soon.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think the H2O levels should drop PDQ! I would be VERY careful along any embankments due to the undercutting of frozen/frost heaved ground. Each river will be a bit different, and how quickly the waters 'clear' to pre-melt-o-rama clarity will depend on water flow and on the types of runoff (clay, loamy soils, etc). Finding clearer water willl be KEY at this time of year. Muddy water in the spring, summer and early fall, no prob, fish everywhere... but in the winter, COLD muddy water is 'da pits'..... Finding the mudlines/water color changes will be the ticket, and if you can find clear(er) water - relative to the rest of that particular system, you'll likely find 'em stacked up :!: ... and spoooooooooooky :evil: ==== GREAT LUCK and SAFETY IN THE NEW YEAR!! Be Well, Alex ==== 'OPEN WATER IN THE WINTER IS YOUR FRIEND' :arrow: "Gone Fishin'!"

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.