Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where can I buy these? I went to Walmart who didn't have any, neither did Dick's and guy that worked there did know nothing about it. Does it go by a different name? I saw octopus hooks but they weren't quite circular. Also what's the good size circled hook for a bass?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
At Kmart, they sell very circular thin hooks that are already rigged with line and it says "circled hooks" on it. I'll take a picture next time and post it. It says #8 but they were quite small which is why I didn't buy them.

Yes I did see the ones your picture but they aren't as circular so I wasn't sure.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Now that you mention it, I know what you mean. The really small ones do look like more of a perfect circle. As far as I have seen, the bigger ones are still refered to as circle hooks, even though they start to look less like a circle. I have also seen them labeled as "superline" hooks. I think those are just the super heavy ones though.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
superline hooks are for braided lines.

the octopus hooks you saw are a kind of circle hooks. (I think the difference is the bend is off set kinda like tru-turn hooks....they dont lay flat on the table).. they are what I use for wacky rigs on senko types baits....and many people use for live bait dunkin.

remember you dont set the hook with circles...a rod sweep, and tension ( load up on the fish) will put the hook in the corner of fishy's mouth almost everytime!

jaypee

·
Registered
428 Posts
anywhere they're every where just let the fish actually eat the thingand it will go right to the corner of the mouth

·
Registered
537 Posts
Circle hooks are all that sailfish charter captains use anymore for safe releases, and I understand they work good for catfish, but I don't think you need to go out of your way to find them for bass. I could be wrong, but I have never used one yet, And I release 99% of my freshwater fish safely. Maybe someday I will find a reason to use them...

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
Most long range anglers fishing for big tuna out west use circle hooks - not for the release, but so that the tuna doesn't eat through the line. The corner hook set keeps the flouro / mono away from the teeth. I like setting the hook, so I miss using the J hook sometimes, but circles are killer on certain applications.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.