Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Eye, Thats pretty cool. Especially that is packs small and comes with 4 anchors. If you purchase it. Let us know what you think about it. Thanks Eye and Good Luck this Ice Season...

Dave

·
Registered
400 Posts
I don't even know if I like ice fishing yet but that would certainly persuade my decision.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I only used my shanty 2 or 3 times last year... But how much is that a pain in the ass to take down in the wind :wink: . That is one thing to consider. It may be easy to set up and take down with no wind. But im sure we all have been on a lake with 30-40+ mph winds. Even with anchors, also on how light it is, I am not too sure about it. It sounded like a good idea at first. But now that I thought it over and remember one of my shanty's flying across the lake :oops: . That's when I use to bring out my Dewalt 18V drill and drill a hole smaller than the anchors. Then zip the 6 inch anchors in with my drill. The wind ripped my shanty straight from my anchors through the plastic floor... :x

This year I highly doubt if I will use a shanty more than 1 or 2 times.

Just my 2 cents from some bad experiences with light shantys on a windy day :wink:

But that still looks roomy, comfortable, and easy to transport...

Dave

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Eye-

That thing looks awesome! If you don't have the schlep it thru the snow even better! I do wonder how much of an impact a strong wind has on it, even so i think I'd prefer that over the traditional. Coo.

·
Registered
593 Posts
The pictures in the ad show tables, lights and everyone wearing flannel shirts.

Almost like a party.

One thing is if too set up, i think "catching" is more about mobility.

I did have a big4 man Shappell.
Very heavy, ok to set up and sturdy.
Easily fished 3 guys with gear, rods cooler & heater..

But not really portable to move around.

Unless I was sitting inside looking tru a window at tipups, too big & hassle for me.

:roll:
I ditched my 4 man shappell and bought a small 2 man Clam.

1/2 the weight and forces me to bring less out onto the ice.
AND boy do i like to overpack and bring too much.

For party house-looks great.
You buy it, drag it out and i'll visit & get warm.
Been there-done that!

:D

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing is can it withstand some heavy winds?

I Like the idea. But the bars/poles it is made with look way too cheasy and cheap...

Heres a pic of one of our easy up tents we put next to our pits while racing to keep all the coolers under to keep them in the shade. This is a Snap-On pop up tent. One of the best pop-ups out there. The bars/ tubing on them are about 1 inch thick and are heald together by 3/16 thick bolts with a 13mm hex head and a 13mm nut. This was after a heavy storm came in while racing out in Moroso FL last year. I just don't care for tents that are easy up/ pop-ups. Whats the warranty on the Clam? Because I know Snap-On is Lifetime :wink: We sent it in and they had a new one sent to our race shop within 3 days!

Sorry about the blurry image, that was taken on my cell phone and it was a long day at the track...

I'm just showing this pic to compare and show what happens to tents that are made with folding easy up poles/bars... The winds were only about 30mph that night with light rain. Our pits tent that is right in back of it didn't budge a bit. 8)

I mean, don't get me wrong. On a small pond or something it would be fantastic. Not much wind gets to ponds. But usually on a nice day even if it is about 0*F, with a little bit of wind to put the chill on. It's not too bad of an idea to whip out that Clam Hub. :wink: But if you do purchase one. I would like to hear some feedback on it. As I am just taking knowledge of what I think I may know and what I think may happen. But when he did set it up in the video. The Poles did seem kind of thin. That is one shanty I will stay away from. But I really hope the best to anyone that does purchase it. As I may be wrong on the durability... Theres really only one way to find out...

Just my 2 cents

Dave

·
Super Moderator
6,231 Posts
Even military grade equipment will break in a big enough gale. When the locking mechanisms start popping it sounds like shotgun blasts. Makes you glad you got a kevlar. I do not consider any shelter sturdy unless it has a foundation :p

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FishinMatt said:
Even military grade equipment will break in a big enough gale. When the locking mechanisms start popping it sounds like shotgun blasts. Makes you glad you got a kevlar. I do not consider any shelter sturdy unless it has a foundation :p
Right on!!! Yes, It was loud when it was popping!!! We were too busy getting all of our electric cords off the ground as we had over 6 inches of water in our pits... :oops: Otherwise we might have been able to save the Pop-Up. But theres other things as well more dangerous or expensive that we had to worry about. Race Fuel all over the place along with hott outlets and lots of water... not a good combination ;)

I learned alot about the pop-up tents as I have also pinched my fingers in them before as well :oops: LOL But I also use to use them for the local Regional Races around here when I use to Race Motocross. They were the best to just pit out of the back of your pick-up truck with. Even then we have had problems with them tho... I just hope if someone does purchase it that they get there moneys worth... :?

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EYE for an EYE said:
There are pro's and cons to every product..(except the ALL pro's Marcum flasher LoL)

If EyE decide to pick one of these up, it will get thoroughly tested and EyE will advise. :wink:
K, Sounds Good Eye.. Good Luck and I look forward to the response of thought and experiance with the shanty, as well I hope the best satisfaction with the new shanty!

I'm still hooked on the fish traps. But hate the weight of them and the room they take up. I still will not use one though... :lol:

You are right about the Marcum Flasher though! :lol:

Best of luck to ya!

Dave

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MrB... LOL That a funny vid I watched on the site posted below in your signature

LOL 2.4% got atleast 11 correct!! :roll: WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!!!! :shock:

Sorry for HiJacking your post Eye. Are you going to purchase that shanty though? I really am curious on the outcome of it. I'm not a big believer in pop-up tents/ shantys/ float boats and etc... But maybe If this one does ya well. i might consider it as it is an easy pack away and light shanty that can be carried and used only if needed. It would be a great survival shanty too if stranded somewhere. :wink:

·
Registered
593 Posts
I went with the smaller 2 man Clam, pole supported with floor.
Plenty of room for me a buddy or my 2 boys.

BUT..
It does not allow for connecting to the other units...
You need to upgrade to bigger unit. :cry:
I did think that was a cool option for a big group.
But then we'd be standing around outside anyways..

Only draw from my other bigger one is windows only on 1 side.

Shop around many stores are dealing now.
if you can make a trip farther North.
You'll find a better selection and lower prices than around here.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I have been rocking out the Shappel that is on the same base as Rollcasts, only it is 2 feet taller, and has a long window that runs the length of each side. :D

I was skeptical about the durability of the material at first, but it took a beating all last winter and is still mint! Best $150 I have spent on ice gear. Cant wait to dust it off!

·
Registered
593 Posts
Thorne Bros has them for ~$200 but Gander last year had them for ~$160.
They were higher priced but the tag $ lowered just as we got ice.
:wink:

Saw skim ice in some potholes here at work.
to shallow to cut a hole.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
that clam doesnt come with a sled does it? I want one with a sled, so I make one purchase not two.

I noticed Uncle Teddy's in the house! Keep it locked cocked and ready to rock! LOL!

·
Registered
593 Posts
My old Shappell had skiis, the 2000 has a ribbed bottom.
It pulls pretty easy over ice and snow.

When the snow was over ~6 inches those skiis just dropped into the snow.
Made pulling the Shappel 2x as hard.

Now i also use a 4ft kids sled with side loop handles & slick bottom for loading up gear, with a tub bungee corded to the handles.

In Wisconsin I had a guy ask me all excited where I bought the unque gear holder.

I told him it was the new Sled 6000 from Frabil.
He was impressed.

Then I told him it was a storage tub and kids sled from Toys r us.
:D

·
Registered
400 Posts
This will be my first year ice fishing but I have a nice 600 ski-doo Rev that should be helpful in toting gear out onto the ice. :wink: Although, if I have that out there I'm not sure how much fishing I will do. :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.