Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Met JW at Beck lake 8:15 this morning. We were on the water by 8:30. Fishing was a little slow at first but as the sun got warmer the bluegill got hot. The action was insane, they were hitting the surface, jumping out of the water, spinning in circles and diving into the weeds. I have not had this much fishing in a long long time. In a 4 hour feeding frenzy I boated and released at least 80 bluegill 6 to 8 inches. I even got a double on a grass hopper and a dragonfly nymph. I have a blister on my finger from stripping the line over it. This lake is too much fun. JW know his stuff when it come to tying flies that get the bite. I left at 1:30 and JW was going back out to see if he could catch one of the huge bass that were chasing the bluegill we were playing. They were coming out of the weeds in about 10 feet of water. I am talking about bucket mouths. I landed a gill that had a 3 in round gash on it's side. Beautiful day and great fishing.
Thank again to JW for getting me back into flies.
I'm hooked!
2FISH :D

·
Registered
197 Posts
Yeah, i'd say you're back in the game with a fly rod! Freaking addicting isn't it!

Getting splashy topwater action is just stupd fun! I don't care what species fish, its a thrill every time. Especially when its on every cast! Tarantulas, foam hoppers, Crappie Candy, and a new one i came up with last night, a micro-clouser style grey/white/silver bucktail minnow , 1.5 inches long- the fish slammed it the instant it hit water.

A bazillion chunky Gills, a few small bass, more SLAB Crappie.... all good fun! Noting beats sheer numbers on most days. Even got a couple Warmouth later on. Saw a small fleet of 2foot long Shad ( i think) cruizing, them things are blazing fast!! You can spot them when a bait-ball jumps out of the water , then all you see is the fishes back and bow wake. They are silver, narrow, dark back, and a narrow forked black tail. Probably run a couple pounds. So if you know what they are, let me know! I'd love to catch one, probably burn up some drag good!

·
Registered
369 Posts
awesome day out there guys. let me know if you're takin the boat id love to join you and fish beck from boat instead of shore.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Sounds like a great time Bob, JW must be teaching ya some great stuff! Thats awesome man!

Gills or Bass, they all are fun!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.