Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I took a walk around Lake Glenview last night and noticed something - the water wasn't the normal chalky/stained color it usually is. In fact, it was probably the clearest i've ever seen it (relatively speaking of course). Anyone else notice this?

·
Registered
330 Posts
That's really interesting. I haven't been there yet but I noticed the water has been dirtier the past 2 years than before. I might have to take a quick trip up there today.

·
Registered
160 Posts
me and the gf were there on sunday it was cleaner then as well. I told her the exact same thing......... I guess we haven't really had any rain lately maybe thats the reason....

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Actually, it's been the wettest spring in Chicago history according to Skilling. I'm wondering if something was done to clear up the water.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I`ve also noticed that north of the piers it is very clear,the south end is still murky.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Thats true about the most rain in a spring. The whole summers supposed to be rainy and colder.

As to why the waters clearer, i have no clue. Everything else that ive seen has been all turned up and cloudy because the run off

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
U can see the water clarity in this pic

Maybe it has something to do with the new weedbeds forming in the Glen that were never there before,or atleast I never noticed them.
Seems like the weed growth is rampant this year :shock:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Maybe Zebra Mussels. I fished up at Tichigan in Racine County Wisconsin. this was the clearest we've ever seen it. The guys said there was so much rain that it eventually clears everything up.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I don't know what it is, but I highly doubt it is due to zebra muscles since you can't launch any boats there. They would have no way of getting into there. :?

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A couple of years ago I spoke to a CCFPD biologist about the water clarity and (then) newly formed weeds at Axehead Lake. He attributed it to zebra muscles. No boats allowed there either.

Perhaps the bucketheads, birds, or ne're-do-wells have contributed to zebra muscles being introduced to such waters.

I do know that the water source for Lake Glenview is storm drainage. I'm sure those things could have found their way into the drainage system somehow.

·
Registered
817 Posts
Speaking of Axehead, I stopped by Wednesday evening and the water was crystal clear on the north side and I was able to see lots of small bass roaming around. Are they still spawning? They weren't interested in eating.

·
Registered
160 Posts
well if they are zebra's some one is bound to hook up with em. i have hooked up with them on numerous occasions at "deep quarry."

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
mad craw 77 said:
well if they are zebra's some one is bound to hook up with em. i have hooked up with them on numerous occasions at "deep quarry."
Same here about deep. got them on the weeds...

·
Registered
160 Posts
WrenchingnFishing said:
mad craw 77 said:
Same here about deep. got them on the weeds...
i was there last week and got some off weeds as well. I had no idea they could latch on to them.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.