Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left to damm early,was up their 4.30am Tuesday mouring,tried to get some sleep in the truck,impossible,with the lake so near,parked on the side of a gravel road,it was dark .Got ready,snow suit on ,boots on,snow suit inside out,screw it,just had no pockets,had to zip on the inside,surface activity everywhere, monster fish swimming on the surface,carp and shad everywhere, huge fins on the surface,threw at a chunk of shad,big blue on,15min,I get himin no net,wanted to get a pic,on my knees, finally got my hand in his gill,to heavey to lift,hooked came out,I gave him a shove back out to the lake,next other rod pops,old 300 reel massive run,I guess I had the shallow spool on it,line all gone,daylite came,giant blues everywhere on the surface.Giant blues everywhere, shad,crappie,carp,seagulls,crows,hawks,fish eating ducks,pelicans, all eating,somebody.Crappie and strippers all on white plastics, at any depth.Went back this mouring lasted a hour,7 fish had enough,I was beat up tired could not bend my back,total fishing hours 12.
Food Seafood Fish Road surface Cuisine

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great lake,Joe these blues are slick,in a cove next to me ,it was calm,and you could see the school of shad,this big blue would slowly rise behind them,then rush forward with his mouth wide open,I was catching and releasing crappie for a while ,and this big blue swam in front me ,top of his head out of the water looking at me ,I wacked him with my pole and he took off,one of the crappie guys landed a 26 pounder on his crappe rig,local told me lots 5 to 6 pound bass,with 7 lb fish are caught, down side pleasure boats allowed,gets bad in the summer,next trip,40-50 lb line,and my hooks are to small,reels to small,no more Mitchell 300.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
10/0 hooks and 8/0 are what I use. I can get away with 30 lb test because the water I’m fishing is snag free and I can follow them in my yak. Got to have good knots too as always.

~JOE~

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you guys,all fish caught from shore,if I had to list the number one reason all my life that I do well fishing ,is I have zero patience, none at all when I am fishing,I am moving,climbing,crawling,in the boat,drifting, trolling,still fishing, one end of the lake to the other,scanning the surface,watching other boats ,watching the sonar,I got to get on fish.Just made some now.
Food Fruit Recipe Ingredient Tableware

1 - 14 of 14 Posts