Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know offhand what the dates are for geneva and delevan area? What can or can't you fish for? Is it ok to fish for something out of season if you are catching and releasing? Are the species that are off limits only off limits to keep? I am unfamiliar with these rules, and unfortunatley have probly broken them a few times in the past. :oops: Or I guess I could get the rule book from a store.
Any rules specific to geneva or delevan would be apreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Gamefish season is closed until May 5th in inland waters. The only exception being lake trout on Lake Geneva. This means that basically all you can fish for is bluegills, crappie, and perch. You will be ticketed at the DNR's discretion for using artificial lures or live bait deemed too big for panfish. About 3 years ago there was an issue about people photographing incidental catches before the start of the season. Apparently the DNR was ticketing people who were not immediatly returning the fish to the water. They have laid back on that policy thankfully. My suggestion is to just go out with some medium fatheads under a slip bobber, minimite tipped with fathead, or a beetle spin type lure. Perfectly legal and also known for the occasional "incidental catch" :wink:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I printed out the dates for reference. That explains why there havn't been any trailers at the launches. Matt, that answers my question. I was afraid that anything with a spinner would be considered illegal. The size thing makes sense. I guess I had some incidental catches last weekend. The spinners I was using actually say they're for crappie on the package. (but they're only slightly smaller than your average lmb one.) Good to know.
When I was out going for the crappie I didn't even get a nibble. I was using small 1/16 jigs and wax's or crawlers. Sometimes jiggin, sometimes under a bobber. Even tried crappie nibbles power bait. Also a tiny minnow lookin inline spinner once in a while. Any suggestions on how to improve the presentation to get some fat crappie going on?

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
I would go with the medium fatheads under a slip bobber. Depth would depend on the lake. If there are any falldowns, pitching around those is an obvious starting point. If the lake is set up more like Delavan, than usually weedflats or fishing the edge of sharp breaks is good. Most of the time, I never go farther then 4 or 5 feet down with the slip bobber. Many times it is even shallower then that. The crappie will be suspended and are much more likely to come up for a minnow then down.

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Yami Master and I are staying at LakeLawn Friday, Saturday, and Sunday night. We are fishing Delavan Saturday and Sunday and going out with John Trossen on Geneva Monday morning. We are trying to make it an Opening Weekend tradition.

Last year was great, hopefully this year is more of the same.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.