Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I received this in an e-mail and figured I`d pass it on...

Outdoor notes
October 22, 2006
BY DALE BOWMAN Staff Reporter
The Coast Guard's live target practice on the Great Lakes has been put on temporary hold, it was announced at Mayor Daley's Fishing Advisory Committee meeting Thursday. The hearing process for the Coast Guard's proposed permanent safety zones and plans to conduct live gunnery-training exercises on the Great Lakes is under way. The Chicago-area meeting will be held at the Lake County Conference and Banquet Center on Nov. 1 in Gurnee. An open house will be held from 4 p.m. to 5:30 p.m., followed by the meeting from 5:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea Matt these are live fire exercises. The problem is they are in prime trolling areas. Here is some last minute info I just received:

Special Bulletin

► Four Coast Guard public meetings remain before public comment period closes Nov. 13

● Nov. 1 - Genesee Theater, 203 N. Genesee St. Waukegan, IL

● Nov. 3 - Charlevoix Public Library, 220 W. Clinton St., Charlevoix, MI

● Nov. 6 - Cruise Boat Terminal, Foot of Holland St., Erie, Pa

● Nov. 8 - Stone Harbor Resort and Conference Center, 107 North First Ave., Sturgeon Bay, WI

Note the change for the Chicago area meeting from Gurnee as earlier announced

Along with a little more info...

US Coast Guard Info site on firing zones

http://www.uscgd9safetyzones.com/go/site/1295/

Unfortunately I have to coach my son`s roller hockey team tonight, So I won`t be able to attend.

"Wet Nets"
Captain Jim

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
From what I have heard it is definitely live fire that they are planning. The Coast Guard is planning on equipping many of its boats with guns. Currently there are no mounted guns on the boats. They just have firearms on the Guardsmen. I am sure that this is just part of Homeland Security, as the Coast Guard is responsible for protecting our ports and harbors.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
i'm all for beefing up our homeland security but the chances of osama bin laden trolling for salmon and perchin for jumbos is highly unlikely. :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Thanks for clarifying. That really sucks. I do think all this stuff is going overboard. Hopefully it won't effect your business too much.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
The only reason our govt needs to build up is to protect from anarchy. How in the heck can a few arabs in caves pose near as big a threat as the communist govt. used to? Yet we are having to ramp up our military to protect fom a few retards in the desert?

553 Posts
Augy said:
i'm all for beefing up our homeland security but the chances of osama bin laden trolling for salmon and perchin for jumbos is highly unlikely. :mrgreen:
Please don't get started with Osama Bin Laden. Homeland Security, that's all about taking away your basic rights. :lol: 8) :x

·
Registered
1 Posts
I hope you guys are right and they never need the firepower, but
if they do I dont want our people to have to throw rocks at the bad
guys because a few people feel funny about cutters with turret mounted
50's or mayby even a 5in. mounted on our big boat. theres more in Lake Michigan than perch and salmon like the drinking water of every city
within 50 miles of the lake and open access to down town CHICAGO
by boat attack. If nothing else lets remember from New York that the
bad guys think big and are ready to hurt U.S. as in U.S.A.
LET'S GIVE THE COAST GUARD ANYTHING THEY NEED BEFORE THEY NEED IT. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
We were adequately protected from communism. We never ramped down when the ussr fell. Why would we possible need to ramp up vs middle east? They can not equal the threat of ussr.

·
Registered
453 Posts
svslider said:
We were adequately protected from communism. We never ramped down when the ussr fell. Why would we possible need to ramp up vs middle east? They can not equal the threat of ussr.
I will have to say we were never protected from the USSR. It was a mutual understanding that we could wipe each other off the map if we chose. I have no problem with gov't putting guns on the Cutters. They probably should have been there to begin with. The problem with the Arabs in the caves is that they influence all the other crazy Arabs. They don't care about our lives or theirs. So there could never be a mutual understanding of basic survival with them. They think they are going to bang virgins if they die killing an infidel(you and me). I have read the Koran, know thy enemy. It has some very troublesome retoric. It may not be as threatening today, but beware of the future. At the current rate. They should outnumber us 3 to 1 in just a generation or two. They just became the most populous religion in the world.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Religion is the root of all evil.
More people have died in the name of god than all the diseases combined.

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
You never know, people may be smuggling drugs from one state to another state on there fishing rigs or even cigarette boats and can be strapped with a firearm. Anything is possible. I agree with Gene. Lets let them get more than what they need so they have everything their instead of getting into a tough situation with pistols as there only firearms. I think we need Weapons of Destruction. I have Firearms and I coudn't feel any safer in my house without them. You never know what kinda of idiot or thieve may come by. But on the big lake. There are many people out there that can be doing something illegal. The Mob is still around these days and can even be right next door. I say it's for the best. I wish I was a cost guard and didn't have to spend hundreds of dollars on Ammo to go play at the Range. Sounds like a sweet deal to me as long at they don't point them guns at me! :shock:

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts