Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had a few friends drag me (kicking and screaming) off the river to film some product review segments this morning.

We wound up about an hour West of Elgin on a retention pond targeting green carp (that's what my buddy Red calls em anyway=)

Upwards of 80 fish caught on Jackall flickshake worms..

..wacky rigged on Jackall jigs.

First time fishing wacky for me...the technique is definitely productive.

But when the film crew decided to take a coffee break and dodge the rain I stayed out and messed around with a booyah spinnerbait.

...and experimented with a trailer hook...just cuz I never really had before=)

This proved to be average size for the pond.

With a few better ones mixed in to make it interesting.

The most exceptional event of the morning though was watching a large Herron toy with then spear to death and eat the biggest frog I've ever seen in my life...luckily the camera guy had the presence of mind to capture the whole thing on vid...I'll post a link up once they have the segments all edited and on youtube=)

Despite the ridiculously good fishing I still missed the river

:wink:

Darth

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Darth, those are some good lookin baits!

Nice Bass and report by the way, I bet it was pretty cool to see the Herron get that frog! :lol:

·
Registered
400 Posts
Awesome report! I hope to see you out at the Blackhawks game with the group.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It was raining but warm. I like those days. The flick shake is a good system. I figured out how to use a walleye jig head with the stinger hook hole and a senko to be just as productive. And much cheaper. I use the fake senkos for that. The ones at long last lures in Richmond IL. We're going to wish for this weather by this weekend.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
EYE for an EYE said:
Film Crew??

EYE sea how it is, LOL.

Those baits look great. How'd the weedless treat you??
Most sincere apologies brother :oops:
On a more positive note... we now have unlimited access and an open invitation to open water and ice fish several 12 acre lakes within this private community...not quite "Shoemaker'sIntersection" quality but close 8)

Also the filmcrew is now pretty much at our disposal=)

Thanks for the replies everybody=)

We actually did some direct comparisons using Senkos and Yum dingers...the Flikshakes (being designed for the wacky rigged technique) definitely held up better, tearing in half much less frequently while maintaining comparable "squishy softness" close to a Senko.
The fact that you go through less baits per bass coupled with their $4.99 a bag price point makes them a far better choice if cost is a factor.IMHO

As far as the jigs...at $5.99 a 3 pack :shock: they are definitely pricey.

However they are HIGH quality and made from Tungsten which has the advantage of being more environmentally friendly compared to cheap lead jigs.

I feel that makes a substantial case for spending the extra $ especially when fishing these small bodies of water where the toxicity of lead lures can have a significant impact.

As for the stinger hook I think it caused me to waste more time dealing with dink bass caught that tentatively swiped at the lure..while also being a pain in the ass to remove from the larger bass that seemed to absolutely inhale it...not so sure I'm sold on the idea :?

·
Registered
308 Posts
We actually did some direct comparisons using Senkos and Yum dingers...the Flikshakes (being designed for the wacky rigged technique) definitely held up better, tearing in half much less frequently while maintaining comparable "squishy softness" close to a Senko.
The fact that you go through less baits per bass coupled with their $4.99 a bag price point makes them a far better choice if cost is a factor.IMHO

As far as the jigs...at $5.99 a 3 pack :shock: they are definitely pricey.

However they are HIGH quality and made from Tungsten which has the advantage of being more environmentally friendly compared to cheap lead jigs.

I feel that makes a substantial case for spending the extra $ especially when fishing these small bodies of water where the toxicity of lead lures can have a significant impact.

As for the stinger hook I think it caused me to waste more time dealing with dink bass caught that tentatively swiped at the lure..while also being a pain in the ass to remove from the larger bass that seemed to absolutely inhale it...not so sure I'm sold on the idea :?[/quote]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm not talking about using stinger hooks. I'm talking about using the line tie where the stinger hook would normally latch on to. Sorry about the confusion. I use the fake senkos from Long Last Lures that are much more durable than Yamamoto's stuff. I pick up 50 fake senkos for 5 bucks. He's right in Richmond IL. Our club gets a really nice discount there. It's the northland walleye jig with the stinger hook spot. I refuse to pay for the Jacked up Jackall prices on their flick shake jigheads. $5.99 for 3 jigheads? Here's the pic of the jig head I use for the home made flick shake. I go to Greg Dickson at Triangle to get the northland Jigs.

*Tie it to the bottom line tie. It will do the same thing as the flick shake. I caught a ton of bass this season on it. It works way better on deep smallies.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Yep the curse of the green carp menacerator. Text the boy then hit local pond that someday will have to give up numbers of crappie. What happens? Get hung up on stick with 1.5 inch limetreuse tube. Decide to break it off so I stand up. That's when the helpful green carp plucked it off stick. Pix will show up on web somewhere this weekend I think. About as big as my size 12 Wolverines.....

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
See red? Green carp ain't so bad=) Actually yours sound kinda helpful :p

Big Bass Lee said:
I'm not talking about using stinger hooks. I'm talking about using the line tie where the stinger hook would normally latch on to. Sorry about the confusion. I use the fake senkos from Long Last Lures that are much more durable than Yamamoto's stuff. I pick up 50 fake senkos for 5 bucks. He's right in Richmond IL. Our club gets a really nice discount there. It's the northland walleye jig with the stinger hook spot. I refuse to pay for the Jacked up Jackall prices on their flick shake jigheads. $5.99 for 3 jigheads? Here's the pic of the jig head I use for the home made flick shake. I go to Greg Dickson at Triangle to get the northland Jigs.

*Tie it to the bottom line tie. It will do the same thing as the flick shake. I caught a ton of bass this season on it. It works way better on deep smallies.
Hey Lee...my reference to the stinger hook was in regards to the one I was using on my spinnerbait that JB had asked about in his reply.
Sorry for the confusion=)

$5 for 50 sounds like a good deal on the fake Senkos but unfortunately most of us aren't in that "club"...what's the regular price?

As for the Fireball jigs... well they are made of lead and correct me if I'm wrong but don't they even use lead based paint as well?

The only time I use lead jigs is when I'm wading the river and have very little chance of snagging them up irretrievably.

Saving a few bucks on jigs doesn't justify the impact on the environment for me personally but...to each his own.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.