Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Coho-zillas April Fools Edition

2K views 22 replies 19 participants last post by  mplant1 
#1 ·
The Root River played an April Fools day joke on me today, except it wasn't a joke. I REALLY wanted to get another shot at the spring running steelies but with all the rains I scratched that idea. Went to plan B - Powerlining!!!

I was joined by Cam today and we hit up the Lakefront outside of Montrose Harbor. Winds were gusting up to 25 mph out of the southwest and made powerlining a bit of a challenge, but we were committed to getting some fish today. Cam was also looking for his very first Coho out of Chicago and a new edition to his work in progress Lake Michigan Species photo book.

Got the first line shot out and rigged up, and began setting up line #2 when the first bell went off. Fish was on for a few seconds, took a leap about 60 yards off shore, and was gone :evil:

A minute later bell #2 goes off. Fish on! Landed a beautiful 23" 3.5lb Coho. We were in business.

Soon after that fish Tom landed his first Coho on his recently-built powerline rig. Nice work Tom!

The bells were pretty consistent today. Even though the winds were tough, we still had good action. Ended the day going 4 for 9 (a couple popped off close to shore, a couple more were briefly on and got off). It was very tough to get solid hooksets with the huge bows in our lines created by the wind.

All in all, it was another awesome time fishing the big pond.

Enjoy the pics!

See less See more
Discussion starter · #10 ·
here's an idea.... rinse the coho off and lose those stupid spring scales, then snap. or wait til the fall and try to catch a spawning coho. they can get real pretty when they turn red...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.