Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
564 Posts
start ice-fishing, its sweet. last year was the first ice season i participated in and it was a blast, and is a blast again this year. Now that I don't have to wait til spring to get my fishin fix, I dont murder people in the winter to release the stress of non-fishing :twisted: . Plus ice fishin is cheap, and your beer stays cold!

·
Registered
382 Posts
BassMasterErik said:
start ice-fishing, its sweet. last year was the first ice season i participated in and it was a blast, and is a blast again this year. Now that I don't have to wait til spring to get my fishin fix, I dont murder people in the winter to release the stress of non-fishing :twisted: . Plus ice fishin is cheap, and your beer stays cold!
Eh, it can be, just like any other hobby. I picked up an auger for $20, a cheap ice rod for $10, and some new line for the ice for $5. I'm just using a small ultra-light reel that I already had. So for $35, I'm fishing. That'll get you started. From there, it can and will get expensive. Ice jigs are kinda expensive, even used flashers keep around $200, and on and on and on.

But, for less than $40, it's good enough to hit up some small neighborhood ponds and get some gills.

·
Registered
400 Posts
This is my first ice fishing season, and I love it. It was not cheap for me because I needed a shanty and heater. Most of the guys can get by without that though.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I agree with .Steve and Karen 100%. Ice fishing is not that expensive if you keep it simple. An auger, jigging combo, some jigs, and a tip-up can get you on some fish. Plus, if you take care of your stuff you'll have it a long time. I'm still using all the original gear I bought 6-7 years ago. I started just as a way to combat cabin fever. Works great for that.

And open-water fishing will be here in a little over a month. Braidwood opens March 1st.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
If you want to make it fun on the ice I HIGHLY recommend a sonar unit. It will make your day on the ice much funnier and amusing. Whats so fun staring at a hole thinking if anything is down there or not it boring. I remeber when i started ice fishing 7 years ago. Board out of mine in the winter months so I decided to give it a try. Father handed down his Mora hand auger to me with an old cheap rod. Fished over 80 hours on the ice with only 2 fish to show for. It sucked but I really wanted to catch fish. Did my homework on the net and talk to others out the ice and before you know it the gear got out of control.
2 Man Shanty fold up Viking $140 SOLD $40
4 Man Fish Trap $400
1 Man Fish Trap Guide $300
1 Man Fish Trap Pro $300
Jiffy Gas Auger $450
Vex Fl8 $330 SOLD $160
Marcum LX2 $300 on the market $200
Hummingbird Ice55 $500 Should of gone with LX5
Aqua View $300 broke Looking at a MArcum VS825C LCD Color $600 go PIT :D
Fishing Rods, Reels, Tips -ups, lures & jigs lost count on cost :roll: .
Catching alot fish Priceless :wink:

Ice Fishing is a diseases :D

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
The first week I had it I was not impressed with it at all. I had problems seeing my jig in 12fow. Im like WTF. On the same day I went to another lake and this time it was working great. Man was i stracthing my head. Anyways the main reason I bought the unit is for Lake Geveva. Last week Sunday I gave that unit a true field test on Lake Geneva (13 straight hour use ) and could never be happier.

Pros
No Interferance at all with other units
Huge LCD Screen 3 color screen
Targeting System pretty cool
Takes only 12 hours to recharge a empty battery ( My vex took 3 days )

Cons
The unit is somewhat loud. Pumping 2400watts I wasnt surprised

·
Registered
382 Posts
Seeing as though I've never used any other unit, I'm pleased with my Ice35. It seems that every 15 minutes it starts to get noisy, so I give it a nudge, and it's quiets right up. I think it's just from the vibrating though, because it stops right away after nudging it. :?:

·
Registered
248 Posts
well i tried ice fishing this year and to be honest its not that great especialy around hear because if you dont know a great spot and you dont have a fish finder its not fun because its hard to locate the fish i bet it would be fun up north if you were catching walleye and pike but im not gunna waste all that money on a sonar thing when all im catching is tiny blue gills and an occasional tiny bass

·
Registered
382 Posts
DPRFisherman said:
well i tried ice fishing this year and to be honest its not that great especialy around hear because if you dont know a great spot and you dont have a fish finder its not fun because its hard to locate the fish i bet it would be fun up north if you were catching walleye and pike but im not gunna waste all that money on a sonar thing when all im catching is tiny blue gills and an occasional tiny bass
Like I wrote, it doesn't have to be expensive. In all honesty, you don't have to spend more than $20 to get you started. An auger. Really, that's all you need to buy. I'm sure everyone on this site has at least one ultra-light or something with tiny line. Everyone has jigs, if not, just put some waxies or corn on a small hook with a splitshot. That's all you need to get into some gills.

Just head out to where you know bluegills are over the summer, and you'll find something. $20, I don't think I've ever walked out of Cabelas or BPS spending less than that. And it's better than sitting inside or strictly fishing the WWD's, IMO.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Joe D said:
I only fish open water all year 'round. the creeks get most of my time in the winter.

Joe
Same here. I've got my little creeks that I fish also, and also the WWD's. Ice fishing is plain boring to me. I'd much rather be out on the creek in the middle of a forest than staying all day in the middle of an ugly frozen lake, not catching any fish.

·
Registered
382 Posts
i got my mora there a few weeks ago for $20 it was supposed to be 40 but it scanned for 20 so i was like omg what an awesome deal i couldnt believe it it works great i went out with a buddy today and he was surprised on how well it cut through the ice :) omg

:p

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.