Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning I got a thank you email (I guess just like all of you guys) from windycityfishing. It is good to know how and why this was started.

Just want to say:

Congratulations Jason and Thank You for developing this well designed and informative site where we can learn, share and help each other.

·
Registered
382 Posts
The following is an email sent to you by an administrator of "Windycityfishing.com". If this message is spam, contains abusive or other comments you find offensive please contact the webmaster of the board at the following address:

[email protected]

Include this full email (particularly the headers).

Message sent to you follows:
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I start this email with a huge THANK YOU to all who a part of this site!

The message boards of windycityfishing.com have been online for about 3 years now. We now have over 700 registered users and 52000 posts. I've posted about this before, but I want to explain the significance of these numbers and the state of the site.

I started this site back in 1998 and a way to learn website development. And I used my favorite hobby to do so. For years the site changed names, html styles, and enjoyed a very modest place in the Chicago fishing scene - a very small personal site among some heavy hitters in the market. But competing with other sites was NEVER the point. I just wanted there to be a voice for the smaller guys - the novice fishermen, the beginner fishermen, the weekend fishermen, the shore fishermen, etc. After all, that's exactly what I was and I wanted to be a hub for other such people.

After adding the message boards, things quickly started happening. There were indeed others who fished the Busse warm water discharge in the middle of winter; there were others who fished Beck Lake everyday in search of a quality fish; there were others who didn't have a boat, but still enjoyed fishing as much as possible. There were others who wanted to know about the trout at Axehead; there were others who… well, the list goes on. In other words, there were many others who shared my same passion for fishing in the Chicago area.

My enjoyment of fishing comes not just from the catching of fish, but truly enjoying the experience. After spending a day at work, I've always loved heading out for a quick hour or two in search of a fishing sabbatical. An average Tuesday night for me is usually watching a sunset in beautiful surroundings and a great fish is just a bonus.

Things started slowly here, but snowballed faster than I could have ever expected. Now when I go on my evening outings, and say hello to people, many actually recognize me. Are you kidding me? During many outings I hear my name called out and lo and behold, it's a visitor of windycityfishing.com who wants to say hello. And the kind words I hear in return really humble me. To think that my enjoyment of the outdoors has turned others on to this great experience is beyond words to describe.

Windycityfishing.com will ALWAYS be for "US". Not for me, but for everyone who shares this same passion that I do. Beginners, newbies, and yes, even the bobber and live bait folks will always be the fuel for this site. We all have to start somewhere, and that's why I'm here with this site.

There are also a handful of folks who have been onboard with this site from the inception, and shortly thereafter of the message boards. There are also a ton of folks who continue to stroll in and make great contributions to my site. To all the dedicated people, and you know who you are, I offer my sincerest THANK YOU. This site has taken the direction it has because of all of you.

It sounds like a Mr. Rogers episode… but windycityfishing.com is about helping, learning, and sharing. Some of the things that are all too rare in today's world - but are more than prevalent here.

This is just my thanks to everyone for making a little dream come true.

Tight lines everyone!

Jason W. Norris

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
The email was sent out to everyone. If the email in your profile was not current, that it why it was not received.

Thanks for the kind words folks!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
thanks for posting that Steve, I had an old email address and didn't recieve the original email.

And to Jason, thanks for starting and running my favorite fishing site on the internet. This place is awesome.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.