Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Haven't had much time to fish these past 2 months...let alone post..so taking up where we left off...

Spent the tail end of Summer in continued experimentation with Craw imitators.

Some of the more productive offerings...

::HardBaits::

Rebel

Storm ThunderCraw

::SoftBaits::

River2Sea's Standin' Yabby

An extremely productive lure when fished correctly..(more on that later) ...however, exceptionally lacking in durability.
A few dinks was really all it took to tear both claws off as well as knock the eye out.

For the premium price they are asking it really should last through more than a few fish IMHO.

(L to R) NetBaits PacaCraw..Strike King BitsyBug..Yum Baby Craw Bug

Of these three the Paca Craw was the only one "guaranteed to produce in any situation" even said so right there on the package.
It was also the only one to fail miserably.:roll:

A few craw crazy fish...

Even a Fox wading newbie friend of mine managed quite a few her first time out on a Fire Tiger Rebel craw..

Although technically she's a Witch...so magic was quite possibly involved.

Now...it is quite possible to catch fish on a craw imitator by swimming it through the current (like a minnow bait) but from my perspective that really just defeats the purpose of using the lure in the first place.
I found far greater success by actually attempting to mimic a craw with them..ie; digging the cranks into the river bottom by holding the rod tip low..sometimes in the water to achieve the effect of the lure scooting across the rocks on the river bed...or by presenting the soft plastics with slightly upstream casts and maintaining a tight line until the lure began to bounce along the bottom.

But fish em how ya like...your mileage may vary=)

It would of course be ridiculous to limit one's self to just using craw baits...

Eye with a trusty "jig and twister" bass..

White bass on a Yozuri Snap Bean

Largemouth on a Yozuri Pin's Minnow

Largemouth on a suspiciously crawish looking 1 minus

..which btw wasn't being fished anything like a craw=)

Rapala Glass Shad Rap

The Glass shad has been coaxing a lot of Walleye as well...mostly dink cigars.
I'm not a Wallleye guy but this one was pretty nice.......though you really can't tell from the pic as he was a little camera shy..

good enough for me to bother attempting a photo anyway...that'll learn me.

Recently I've found various jigs to be most productive...

My absolute new favorite (although I can't stand the crappy Gamakatsu hooks) are the Spro Phat Flies from the Siemantle signature collection..

Specifically this one...

...and I'll tell ya why.

GoodFishin'

Darth

·
Registered
594 Posts
Great info!
Tinker with baits, colors and techniques makes a better fisherman.

Same old baits but change conditions or feeding and we are lost.

Its the guys who tinker for new and better that keep catching!

I did find they like the orange belly different times of the year.

Very cool, I like the eyes on that one craw bait.

:D

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Great report! I love the colors of that fly you're fond of. Are you using braid on your set ups? If so do think it gives you a better feel of bottom/snag vs strike?

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Rollcast said:
Its the guys who tinker for new and better that keep catching!
It ain't the meat, it's the motion.

They're fish, they suck in leaves and sticks before they realize it isn't food and spit it out.

Darth just knows where to put the lure, generally, where the fish lives is helpful.

Great stuff like usual. You teach me crankbaits and I'll show you where to go for those 30 fish days. :wink: :wink:

·
Registered
2,635 Posts
Nice report. Looks like you had a blast. I Saw some mighty good lures in there ;) I love those Pins Minnows!

·
Registered
3,785 Posts
Nice outings! I do like the pictorial advice on what seems to be working for you. Are the crayfish still working. Given the drop in temps I'm thinking that the crayfish have gone bye bye for the season.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.