Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is my second rod build. It is a Batson Rainshadow CB70M, a medium power moderate action cranking rod. Fugi alconite guides in a simple spiral with black and metallic silver 4 turn wraps. Forecast 16mm exposed blank reel seat with eva foam grips.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Nice acid wrap.

I loved my acids when I was working Yellowtails and WSB out of the kelp off the coast of San Diego.

Great for deep water fishing, and love getting looks from people like "dude your rod is put together all effed up!"

Where do you get your parts/supplies from?

·
Registered
292 Posts
That is a sweet looking rod. I hope it performs as good as it looks. How do you like the eva over the cork? Been debating which way I want to go when I order my stuff.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
That is a really nice looking rod, but I too and wondering why the guides are spiral wrapped like that. I would think that would create more resistance on the line when casting. :?

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Beautifully done!! Can I ask what the final cost was?

Spiral wraps are supposed to eliminate rod twist. Also it is supposed to reduce line slap against the rod facilitating longer casts while reducing stress on the rod itself while fighting a fish.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the comments guys. I used single foot fly guides for the running guide which will reduce weight as opposed to having double foot casting guides and you can use less guides since you need guides closer together on conventional casting rods to keep the line off the blank while under load.

Darth the final cost of the build was about $90. Those Rainshadow blanks are very good for the price. The blank was about 35 bucks. The high end rainshadow RX8 blanks are used in the Kistler Lighter than air rods.

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Darth Wader said:
Spiral wraps are supposed to eliminate rod twist. Also it is supposed to reduce line slap against the rod facilitating longer casts while reducing stress on the rod itself while fighting a fish.
Suppose to, but does it ? I`ve seen it on some spinning saltwater rods.

Looks awsome ! :shock: U should give us a class on rod building sometime !

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
bucketmouth4 said:
That is a sweet looking rod. I hope it performs as good as it looks. How do you like the eva over the cork? Been debating which way I want to go when I order my stuff.
I like the way it feels, i will have to get back to you when i get around to using the rod. I think you should use whatever the look your going for.

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It looks as if the line is touching the blank but it isnt, i did a static test on the rod before i wrapped the guides to make sure. I could have gone with an even smaller guide for the bumper. I know i said you can use less guides for an acid wrap, I layed out all the guides as they normally would have with a conventional casting rod then fipped over all but the stripper guide (first guide). Then you place the bumper guide (the one sticking out 90 degrees) half way between the first two guides. I ended up using that many guide because of the action of the rod. Since it is moderate action i need all those guides for a smooth line flow. If i were to do a fast action rod i would be able to get away with less guides. The rod is pretty light especially at the tip with all the #6 fly guides which weigh next to nothing.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.