Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Stopped by the little pond after work yesterday. Bluegills hitting gnats on the surface like crazy! Didn't feel like targeting those (mostly small ones) so I tied on a white marabou jig and was rewarded with at least a dozen crappies. A nice surprise because they had seemed to have vanished this year. Caught a couple with the jig under a bobber, but had the best luck hooking them just swimming it as slowly as possible or not moving it at all.
Two, probably unecessary tips, but I have often found that the most productive depth for fishing this way is just a few inches deeper than where you lose sight of your jig, and tip number two, if you buy those cheap, white marabou jigs that tend to fall apart after a few fish, you can wrap the shank with a different color thread to sturdy them up a bit. I've always liked the white/pink combination from the original "pinky" days!
Smile Sky Fisherman Fish Wildlife biologist

·
Registered
875 Posts
Man, I have no idea where the crappie go on my local ponds any other time than the spring. I like targeting them and bluegill at the same time with the fly rod but only run into them early in the year. Now the ponds are choked either with algae or pads, a pain with a fly rod.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts