Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Occasionally I recover a lost lure or rig that really stumps me. Here's one from my last outing - yes, it's a snelled hook to ~20# steel leader to mono, under a bobber. I am actually thankful for it, as I am low on leaders, but WTF man? To be continued...

rig1.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
5,718 Posts
It's a common rig of bucket heads for large, toothy fish. The fish is supposed to inhale it. The leader ends up where the teeth are. The hook hooks in the gullet. Of course the gullet-hooked fish dies, but the bucket head is out there to kill anything that swims anyhow. :idea: :idea:

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
There are some imaginative people out there. One of my favorites is the Budweiser beer can reel that was common on the horseshoe back in the eighties.

~JOE~

·
Registered
253 Posts
I caught a carp well snagged the line with the same set up last weekend i was able to remove hook you could tell he was hooked for a while felt sorry for him

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited by Moderator)
RonG said:
It's a common rig of bucket heads for large, toothy fish. The fish is supposed to inhale it. The leader ends up where the teeth are. The hook hooks in the gullet. Of course the gullet-hooked fish dies, but the bucket head is out there to kill anything that swims anyhow.
Evil, if true. But of course I would not put anything past bucketheads. I guess it explains this as well, although it came from the 'goons and I am not sure there are any toothy creatures to be had there.

rig2.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Grain said:
Occasionally I recover a lost lure or rig that really stumps me. Here's one from my last outing - yes, it's a snelled hook to ~20# steel leader to mono, under a bobber. I am actually thankful for it, as I am low on leaders, but WTF man? To be continued...

This is basically the set up my friend uses for fishing... up in the Northwoods... for EVERYTHING. Perch, Gills, Bass...

I have tried (unsuccessfully) for over 20 years to get him set up to tie direct for most things. No luck, he's a crabby old bastard and won't change for nothin. I tried getting him to use a slip bobber, he won't- says it's to complicated.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited by Moderator)
Ok, here is another one: creature on a baitholder hook, to snap lock, to snap lock. Partially I understand it - someone is too cheap to spring for a proper EWG hook, and does not know how/too lazy to tie a knot. But why two puny snap locks?

rig3.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
152 Posts
Those are all variations on what actually IS called a "wtf-rig," because that is what you say when the guy fishing next to you, tips it with a cheese hot-dog, and lands a 4 pound bass, while you've been casting everything in your box,and getting skunked!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Recovered from DPR in Lake Co. I wonder what species they were targeting.

Ruler Wood Office ruler Measuring instrument Tool

·
Registered
5,739 Posts
Looks like someone was suffering from wishful thinking 🤔

1 - 12 of 12 Posts