Sky: Sunny
Wind: WNW 10 MPH
Feels like:8 Degrees
Water: Few inches above regular level
Water Color: Clear
Fish Count: 32
Lure: Glow in the Dark mini-mite
B. Pressure: 30.41 -DROPPING-

Yesterday with a high of 40 Degrees A Beautiful Day! Water high and murky I only managed one crappie. Over night a Front came through Which is exactly what I needed To help me Locate a school of Crappie. Cold Fronts use to be an excuse for me not having a great outing, But lately I've been using it to my advantage how you ask. Well, when a cold front comes through it typically sends the fish hunting for Cover And almost always with a 20 degree drop or more they'll hug structure very tightly. This helps me in a way with 16years experience on this river to limit the bad water and focus on water I think would be more productive. Usually When a Cold front hits on this river I almost Always hit Bridges, There's Almost always fish congregated along the pylons and cement structures. The bottom of the river is Primarily Sheet rock And although it has it's little channels and drops The majority of them aren't enough to hold an adequate amount of Fish schooling in the area not after a front anyway. So this Leaves discharges and Bridges. Discharges yes warm water, Shad, Deep holes But just to much current. But Bridges hold Enough cover to limit the fish's resistance in the water from the current so it doesn't waste as much energy and also that's where the smaller bait fish tend to group up leaving easier bite sized meals that a School of crappie can ambush easily. So that Was my thought process going in. Basically The Front put the fish in an area more assessable to me when I'd otherwise have to try to find open water suspended fish which is difficult. On my way to the bridge though as I usually do I checked out some sexy Geese along the road, They as I predicted the fish to be doing where lethargic and all grouped up for warmth Which surprisingly the bird behavior to fish behavior have been close this season for me :shock: . Overall this New years eve has been a good one, And December even better :D

The Culprit.. -Pun intended aris 8) -

One of the first of the Day, started with 2 bluegill.

Ended with 30 crappie
:mrgreen:

Some pics say the 30th, But i promise all Were the 31st NEW YEARS EVE. I didn't notice my date was set wrong a day prior becasue of the timing settings. until later in the outing resulting in just a few pictures to have the 31st.

mm.. Love That Mini-Mite

Fished in the morning, Date hadn't changed yet. all fish Caught 12/31/08

Ending the Year My totals Are as Follows

1,356 Fish
667 BASS

Not Bad, But still Rated a D.
2009 Is all About Perfection.
All About patience
And All About my goals.
Don't Care what anyone thinks or says
I'm going out to do what I love.

See ya guys tomorrow :mrgreen:

George
Multi-Species Enthusiast
[email protected]

:arrow: :mrgreen: :arrow:

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Awesome Geo! Looks like you had yourself a great year.

I'm going out tonite to end my 08 year with some fish and start my 09 year with some slab crappies! :lol:

·
Registered
331 Posts
Way to kick Bass this year! Maybe, for 2009 think QUALITY over QUANTITY, and see how that works for you. I'd love to know the average weight of all the bass you caught last year 2008, and see if you can't improve that number in 2009! (think JIG-N-PIG types lures in THICK cover/dcoks/laydowns and yes you'll NEED to buy and GOOD baitcasting Reel and Flipping/Pitching Rod $100+ each, but WEEEEELL worth the investment, QUALITY LASTS, and doesn't FAIL with the biggest fish of your life on..... TRUST ME, - see: MY BIG BASS from Skokie Lagoons....and the Chicago River....).... I would be HAPPY :mrgreen: to help you pick out a set up. HAPPY. 'PM' me. GREAT LUCK and Be SAFE in 2009 - Alex ===== (and as always, Darth, THAAANKS for the 'Jigglies' !!)

·
Registered
331 Posts
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=1939 -for an example of a fish that I NEVER would have landed A. on a spinning rod (at least THAT fish!) B. without 20 lb test FLUOROCARBON line , it was about 6-8 lb test afterward! C. without a baitcaster for PINPOINT lure placement. D. without experience in NOT trying to horse the fish out of the tangled morass of branches (that I PUT THERE the previous summer... that's a HINT guys-and gals, you CREATE your own brush piles and it WILL pay off.... ) E. being VERY persistent and CONFIDENT in my lures and equipment, as well as line (and tying GREAT knots). F. and lastly, by having good fishing karma, by picking up COUNTLESS bags FULL of other peoples, garbage and MILES of old fishing line left on the bank by the 'vermine' !! == I'm not saying you won't occaisionally HOOK a big fish, but the odds of LANDING IT, taking your picture with it, and releasing it ALIVE (to spead those BIG BASS GENETICS) , are VERY SLIM by comparison. ========= Again, I would be HAPPY to help anyone out there.....ALEX ><>J\ :D

·
Premium Member
3,688 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I've already got a good bait casting set-up and My improvement of quality Was AMAZING this year compared to last. But I'm eagerly looking to learn and develop. This year you'll see much bigger bass then last year, And that's a guarantee :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Also if i may Add those guys aren't winning tournaments on LUNKER SIZE Fish Every one of them are happy with 5 qualifying 12" Fish.

Again thanks for the kind words guys.

Man,I love to fish :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

:|

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.