Sky: Mostly Cloudy
Water: High
Water color: Murky
B. Pressure: 30.32
Fish Caught: 1
09 Fish Count: 120
Skunks: 7
Dec.31,2008-Dec.31,2009

Got out and Nailed one guys ! :mrgreen: Small but it's what I tried I' aiming for :D

now .. The Real question guys. I've never did any maintenance on ANY Reels no oil.. nothing. A few days ago my Dawaii Td Pro has been slipping when I cast, Then it won't "click" To retrieve line.. and it just doesn't feel the same. (Its almost a year old now)

Please any suggestions :mrgreen:

- Geo
Multi-<((><
[email protected]

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
268 Posts
I dont oil my reels or anything either unless I have issues with them so sorry I cannot help ya there. I give you my upmost respect for getting out there everyday regardless of the circumstances, I always enjoy your reports. Good work

·
Registered
5,840 Posts
I'm not a maintenance expert, usually drive them til they drop. I'd first take off the spool and wipe down the inside there and get out all the dirt and grit. My biggest malfunction problem is the nut at the base of the spool shaft. It often loosens - check it. Some of my Abu's after getting accidentally dunked while wading would get real stiff and would hardly crank. I'd open up the reel carefully so no gears or bearings would drop out, let it dry and then re-lube with reel grease.

Slipping could be something is loose and not engaging. Visually check for that. Once I had a drag spring that broke. I took the spring out of a VHS tape that closes the cassette door and built a new spring for my reel out of that.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Good job Geo! Always good to see another bass.

As far as the reel maintenance goes, you need to do it on a regular basis. Get some good reel oil. I like to use Hot Sauce oil and grease. Whatever you do, don't use WD-40.

·
Premium Member
3,701 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks guys, yea My reel took a dip after nailing that beautiful 18 incher.. Ever since i've mainly been fishing my spinning outfit because it doesn't cast as far.. only way to get the button to Click and retrieve line is by me manually pushing Up on my casting button instead of down, but I don't want to keep doing that. It just doesn't feel as smooth or nothing..

but i'll un-spool it oil it up.. And spool on some new P-line fluro :wink:

thanks,

- Geo

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
For some reason these newer reels need to be lubed up more often than the older models.

Thats a nice miniature replica of a bass u got there , good work once again George :)

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
Just make sure you dont use a petroleum based grease on any areas that contact a plastic or rubber part. (bushings, o-rings, etc.) Over time the petroleum based greases will warp or dissolve these parts, if the parts are not designed to contact that type of grease. :!:

Oh, and never use wd40 for anything.....ever.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.