Feels Like: 11
Wind: W 15 MPH
Sky: Cloudy/SNOWING
Water: Regular Level
Water color: clear
B. Pressure: 29.36
Fish Caught: 5
09 fish Count:59from Dec.3108-jan12010

Carp, A Species That MANY Anglers Choose to harass. When first introduced, as another food option here in the states, A long time ago Before ANY OF YOU WERE BORN, Anglers and Biologist started to realize Carp tear up what are to believed to be Sport fish such as bass,musky,walleye"s Nest. When the fish was bedding, carp would swoop in, feeding on all the fish's eggs. Ultimately making the water dirty.. Etc. Etc. It got so bad people Were Catching carp, Leaving them on the bank and letting them die. Which is why when I started Carp fishing in 2004, I wanted to figure out if these Fish were bad. I fished for them everyday in 2005. I've Watched videos on them bedding, feeding And just swimming all through this time. but it wasn't until I Bed fished Small mouth bass at lake Michigan last year when i realized how many carp Surrounded there bed. And did i see one carp attempt to go near a bed when I was there 11 hours a day for a week? Nope.. see a carp swim by and Damage the nest ?... nope. I seen the carp There feeding on all the algae And weeds that had grown by coincidence where all the bass chose to bed.. A Rocky shallow flat, With a Heavy weed line and a drop off near by. And When you think about it, when Carp were first introduced 1831 i believe again Way before Any of you were born And as long as it's been.. Predator Fish records are being broken, Fishing is still Pretty Dam good. Because as much people think they know about carp, They truly are a remarkable species. Although they lay eggs by the hundreds of thousands And can spawn multiple times a year if conditions Suit, there population pretty much balances out And remains the same. All the predator fish feeding on the juvenile carp Balances Everything else out. All the aquatic life has balanced out! And they also have adapted.. I'm sorry for going into a big thing here.. But until you understand.. :mrgreen:

Stop leaving carp out to Die.... :roll:

.. Alright guys Today My brother James and I brought out the Carp setups And went Strictly for them. Fun indeed Although It started off slow for me. My Brother James Almost instantly nailed a Carp Using Corn. Which gae me optimism but also Gae me a little worry As I just prayed for mine So I could Avoid The skunk.

Then I Shortened my Leader Using my usual slip Sinker rig. I shortened it from about 12" to 6" My Reasoning I had none, It's just worked in the past when fishing tough And I'm fishing current. If there were no Current My leader of Vanish fluro-carbon 6lb Test would be about 14".

I Then Kept My finger on my Line Aiming my rod Towards the Line that's going in the water, I kept My line Tight And Anything that didn't feel like a white perch or shad nibbling I set the Hook! usually My line would get a little loose I'd Tighten it Then I'd start to feel slow steady pulls.... that's when I started RIPPIN LIPZ :mrgreen:

.. starting this year As I previously stated I have the Goal of Fishing Everyday this year. But I had a few small ones to. one of them was catching a carp Pushing 25lbs... today I Missed that by 4 Pounds With this 21 lb 1oz Common Carp Caught on 6lb test and Whole Kernal Sweet Corn.

The Blood Under The Fish Near my thumb Is Actually Mine.. :lol: Got excited When I yanked that hook out :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

See you all tommorow :mrgreen:

George
Multi-species Enthusiast
[email protected]

:mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Carp are a great species to fish for. I always throw mine back hoping they'll get fatter for anglers to catch another day. And, as you say the fishing for other game fish is still pretty good. If carp actually do all the damage they say....imagine how fishing for the other game fish would be....every cast would produce a bass...not realistic. So yeah, i think the damage they do is real but overstated quite a bit. Hey, they get huge and are a ton of fun. That to me is good enough. I had a 15# carp in November, but that 21#'er you have there is a fatty for sure! enjoying the daily report. keep em' coming!

PS-bought one of those digital weigh scales from BPS recently..get home, through the 9 volt in and the bastard doesn't work. argh!

B

·
Registered
414 Posts
weres a good spot for carp and a good bait. I have been to a pond over in addision near highway 355 and the addisson marcus cinema movie theater. Its almost a big puddle but there are carp everywhere. I dont know how they survive the winter it looks as if that thing would freeze over completely. Well I cant catch them whats a good bait? If you ever want to meet up there forcarp let me know in the spring or when ever the ice thaws. Its off of lake st 355 exit. towards addison

·
Registered
382 Posts
Let's create a super-fish for fly fishing in the 21st Century. It should be smart, selective, strong, fast, almost indestructible, and plentiful in cold, cool, warm, and tropical waters from coast to coast and border to border. This super-fish should never need stocking, must coexist peacefully with other gamefish, feed on flies from top to bottom, and be as colorful as a Snake River cutthroat. Such a mysterious wonder-fish would be as valuable as gold, so we should call it something special; how about the "Golden Ghost?"

What fish could we cross to develop such a magnificent super-hybrid? How about first crossing a bonefish with a permit for speed, strength, wariness, selectivity, and prestige? For durability, let's cross this "per-bone" with a redfish and a cutthroat for brilliant color, ability to live in warm or cold waters, and a distinct willingness to feed from top to bottom on flies that imitate almost every conceivable natural food.

There's still one more ability that this wonderful fish needs to posses: the ability to survive man's pollution. Resistance to acid rain, PCBs, heavy metals, siltation, and oxygen depletion, as well as disease and parasites, would be a distinct advantage. It looks like we'd have to find a stainless-steel fish for the final hybridization. The crazy twist to this fantasy fish idea is that nature has already evolved it for us, and it has lived in the United States for well over 100 years. It's been in Europe and in its native Asia much longer. This incredible fish is the carp, and I'm coming out of the closet to tell you that I've been quietly fly fishing for this "golden ghost" for over 50 years.

Thoughts???

·
Registered
3,882 Posts
Great carpin George :shock:
U guys say how good the fishing is with the carp in the system,but can u imagine how good it could get without the carp :)

·
Registered
414 Posts
Carp dont bother me one bit if someone doesnt want to fish for them all I say is move to a differnt spot if you see them thats all. THey arent bad to catch at least they are not tinny and a pain in the butt like the goabbies all over lake michigan now adays win you think its a perch no its a goabbie

·
Registered
95 Posts
george, I'm a carp guy too, I love to fish for them. I'm also a big steelhead guy. that whole thing about carp eating eggs burns my a$$. have you ever heard anyone damn a steelhead for following the kings upstream and gobbling up the kings eggs??? I didnt think so. and what is one of the best steelhead baits........eggs. in all my carp research I have never seen any egg baits at all. just seems funny to me. make the best of carp, they are not going anywhere!! they are a blast to catch!! people should lighten up. I've gotten into fly fishing for carp about 2 years ago, its as big as a challenge as you can get on a flyrod in freshwater! as a matter of fact I've become obcessed with it, I have so many patterns tied for carp its silly. if you have not done it , put it on your list of things too do you wont be disappointed!!

Joe

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.