Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Yeah. Don't be cheap on the battery. If I was going to replace the one I use now, I would go with what doc said. They get good reviews for quality, and they are comparatively light. (My battery, the biggest of the "ever-start" line, has never let us down, sometimes using it several days in a row with no charge, but it weighs almost 70 pounds. :roll: )

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Optima Blue Top!!!!!. I have one and it goes a long time. Lighter than most. $155.00 at cosco. Worth every cent.

·
Banned
655 Posts
Bought an Everstart for $55 at wal-mart yesterday.

I've had one for one of my trolling motors for 5yrs now still running strong and got another one for another trolling motor I have.

I suppose that if you maintain the batteries well by charging immediately after use and keeping them off solid ground as well as out of cold air by storing them in room temperature, they will last a while.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I worked for the company that makes Optima Batteries and I don't think they are worth the money . The biggest selling point is their size and the fact as they are spill proof. As far as resereve power there are many battries that are less expense.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Man, I just got my trolling motor - Vector 55 by Minn Kota. I think I underestimated the size of this thing. It's freakin huge! I was going to use this on small rental boats. Oh well.

·
Registered
114 Posts
This weekend I purchased a Nautilus Gold marine battery at Murray's Auto Parts on Addison Street just west of Elston.

I had read somewhere that Exides were a good battery, hope so.

What's interesting is that for deep cycle batteries Murray's had something for $60 and then my battery for $94. I told the salesperson Jesus that I wasn't planning on spending that much, and then I was silent.

Jesus filled the silence by offering to take 10% off the price.

Since the fish was "nibbling" I countered at 15%. Jesus checked with his manager and I had a 15% discount on my $94 battery.

So, at least at Murray's Auto Parts on W. Addison in Chicago, don't be afraid to negotiate a bit when you purchase a deep cycle battery.

I just hope the battery turns out to be a good one.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Good job, Kayakrich. That's awesome. Please let us know how it works out for you.

I took Andrew's advice and went to Wal-mart and picked up a deep cycle for $50+. I haven't used it yet b/c it was meant to be a back-up battery in case my optima died out.

I've been to Deep Lake three times now, and it's been windy there all three times. Given the wind and the weeds, I think having two batteries is a minimum requirement.

Good luck and thanks for sharing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.