Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went back to Deep Lake on Saturday morning hoping that the impending rain and south winds would result in lots of fish. Well, not so much. :? :( I ended up with one 15" bass and a total of 4 bites all day. The drop in temperature apparently effected the fishing more than I thought it would. The highlight of the day, which almost resulted in a changing of the shorts, was when I was in the weeds on the northwest side. I was lifting my senko out of the water when I saw a big fish launch itself out of the weeds and grab my senko. When I went to set the hook the hookless line came back to me while a 28-30" pike swam away like nothing happened. I was only using 6 pound test with no leader so that pike bit through the line like a hot knife through butter. :shock: :shock: I have never seen a pike go after a senko before and definitely never seen one launch itself like that. Needless to say that made me shake for a good 5 minutes afterwards. Amazing for sure. :wink: Oh well, I hope the fishing is better next Saturday!!! :D 8)

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I have caught a pike on a senko. Just reeling it in to cast and just as I got it to the surface BAM just like you a pike came out of no where and nailed it. Scared the crap out of me. I think that's why pike fishermen do the "Figure 8 ' at the boat just in case.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Thanks for the report, Matt!

I caught a northern at the Skokie Lagoons 2 years ago from my inflatable boat on a Berkley Sinking Minnow (basically a Senko imitation), and on a couple of other occasions using soft plastics.

I'll bet it got your heart racing! :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.