Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guy's,
I am heading out to Deep lake this Friday the 1st of August, and I have been there one time and got skunked. I worked the lily pads with a Spro Frog but no luck.
Any tips on good spots to fish for Bass?
I also hear that there is some nice Pike out there, any tips on catching a Pike. (never caught a Pike before).

Thanks, :D

·
Registered
597 Posts
well bass there hit on senkos a lot. Never caught one on a frog but ive seen them jump in the slop after frogs. Bass also hit on YUM Dingers.

As for Northern they bite on spinners and crankbaitsand large roaches. I have only caught a small 20in Northern out at deep. Look at some past reports for Northern Information

·
Registered
260 Posts
For Bass ......the first place I would look to throw bait is NW side of lake. Go there early. Use weightless bait (senkos) which is most productive from now through summer and into early fall. Keep in mind that weightless bait is a "tool" that is fished slowly. It's important to use patience. To get some more action ...........I would recommend fishing "whacky-style" using a Gamakatsu wide gap hook that comes with the weed guard. You can throw that in any brush and not get snagged. Another good way for bass on Deep is up near the docks along the lake shore. Throw spinner as far under the dock as you can get then retrieve just fast enough to spin the blade give it three or four tries ................and if no hits then speed up your retrieve.

For Pike.........go with big spinner baits (I prefer inline baits) they work well. They can be worked at any depth and (if the fish are in the mood) you can get some aggressive strikes. Try baits with bucktails and color combos of blacks, reds and yellows.

One more thing you might want to try (again, early in the morning) is a floating Rapala in a dark color, close to the weed line retrieve it slow so that it barely goes underwater then stop and let it pop to the surface. When those pike hit the lure it's like a bomb going off on top of the water. :D
I hope these few pointers will head you in the right direction........ Have fun!

·
Registered
260 Posts
For Bass ......the first place I would look to throw bait is NW side of lake. Go there early. Use weightless bait (senkos) which is most productive from now through summer and into early fall. Keep in mind that weightless bait is a "tool" that is fished slowly. It's important to use patience. To get some more action ...........I would recommend fishing "whacky-style" using a Gamakatsu wide gap hook that comes with the weed guard. You can throw that in any brush and not get snagged. Another good way for bass on Deep is up near the docks along the lake shore. Throw spinner as far under the dock as you can get then retrieve just fast enough to spin the blade give it three or four tries ................and if no hits then speed up your retrieve.

For Pike.........go with big spinner baits (I prefer inline baits) they work well. They can be worked at any depth and (if the fish are in the mood) you can get some aggressive strikes. Try baits with bucktails and color combos of blacks, reds and yellows.

One more thing you might want to try (again, early in the morning) is a floating Rapala in a dark color, close to the weed line retrieve it slow so that it barely goes underwater then stop and let it pop to the surface. When those pike hit the lure it's like a bomb going off on top of the water. :D
I hope these few pointers will head you in the right direction........ Have fun!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.