Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tournament time at Deep Lake today. 64 anglers and over a dozen in attendance from windycityfishing.com! Very cool!

Fished from 6am-noon; sunny skies giving way to high clouds, east winds 5-10mph; temps in the low 40's at launch increasing into the mid-upper 50's by weigh-in.

Generally a slow day at Deep Lake. But still some quality fish caught by all the participants. I was partnered up with Tony (#1cubsfan). We found some bedding bass along the north shoreline and Tony worked his ass off on one fish for over a half hour. Finally got her to take a creature bait. The fish was 18"+ and 3.1 pounds. Nice fish! I managed 3 bass at 12.5", 13.5" and 14+", all on flash jigs.

Big fish of the day went to an angler whose one and only fish weighed in at 5.3 lbs! What a hawg! There were also a few crappie anglers who had about a dozen each with the biggest just shy of 12"

After the tourney Jack had great food and beer for everyone.

Real nice time and a bunch of great people for this tournament.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Nice fish Tony! It was nice to finally get out on Deep yesterday even though the fishing was so tough. Some of the toughest fishing I have ever seen out there. Culprit and I caught 3 dinks with the biggest one 13.25 inches. He lost another one at the boat that would have been a qualifier when grabbed the line to lift it into the boat. :roll:

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Me and Mike fished together. Got 6 total Me 4 Mike 2 None quallifying in the 14in range. Fishing was real rough. There were some nice one's caught though. Here are some pic's I took. The pic of the 5# 3 ounc also included

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Nice pics Dean. Tough day out there. Sean and I caught nine fish between 13 and 14.5 inches, and one about 17 that was "lost" :( . A few were actually 13.75 :roll: So close.
It was a very fun time and great food. Good to see you all again.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Tough day for Big Al and I. I got two bites all day and got both fish, but neither went longer than 12 inches. Big Al didn't get any bites. We never even saw fish swimming around. It was about as tough a day as there could be on Deep for us. It sucked, but we will be back again someday to give it a go and hope for better results. Good to see you all out there! :D

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Great pixs Dean. it was a fun day for sure. Great to see all you guys up early and at the docks.

I realy enjoy this tourny. Results were not as expected but that's fishing. Like the Cubs "Wait till next year" Beer was cold, food was good and Rudy and Sean took home some raffle $$$$$.

Tony got a nice bass 3.2 lb(3rd best) Winner was a 5.2 and it was a pig.

Numbers were much lower from last year and the
fishing was very tough. Just a nasty winter / spring
but Deep will come alive soon :D

Big Al and I decided (after a few to many beers)to load up the boat and have one last cold one on the lake....so we headed back out...the water was dead calm piture perfect afternoon(glad we went back out Al).

Fished 3pm until 5:30'ish. Al got one bass in the frst 5 min from leaving the doc but that was it.

I realy want to fish Deep at sun set this summer
the top water bite must be great. (the bugs even worse but I still want to try)

So all in all it was a great weekend of fishing, weather was good , friends and food were good , and some great laughs.....what more can you ask for...(well maybe a 15hp motor to race across the lake with Rudy !!!!!) ;-)

Notes for the day 5/10/2008
---------------------------------
- Friday Pre-fishing...helpful or just fun to be out? Winner either way :lol:
- Get there early and setuping your boat before the masses....priceless !!
- Get seats with a back
- Front mount trolly was a cool idea guys....
- Extended trolly handle was a back saver
- Trolly with a foot pedal would realy be the ticket to keep you in place
(stimulus check = Bulldog 36 Transom Mount ).....lol
- Optima battery was strong ALL day(even when we went back out) :lol:
- DAM hulla gubs won the last 2 years :evil:
- Big time respect for the "pro's' that have to make a living in tournaments
- Fish finder was a help(if you can catch suspended fish)
But it's real value was that you could find/fish the weed line and the drops just off of the weed line.

Dean and I postioned our boat for most of the day on or just outside the weed line and casted into the weeds(spinner baits / senkos), paralle to the weed line(rattle traps, jerk baits and spinnner baits) and into the deeper water..... it gave us many optins for the two of us to try many different baits but most of our 6 fish came from spinner baits fished running through the weeds. They just had no size.

Tony and I found the pattern on Friday pre-fishing. Aris had the same sucess on Thursday(but still no big fish)...So we thought we had a "Fair" pattern going into Saturday. It held up well for number but we again just couldn't get any bigger fish to bite..... :cry:

I learn every time I go to this lake..... SO......Next time !!!!!

Mike

p/s
went to play poker from 6pm to 2am was dead tired but won enough $$$ to pay for the last two days at Deep. to fun!!!!.... but I am getting old I am tired as hell (glad to see the rain on Sunday).....LOL

·
Registered
428 Posts
Damn, looking at those pictures, Matt and I were riding pretty low in the water. "Two Tons 'o' Fun". If I can take anything away from the day, at least I got to try out my new toys. (i.e. 6hp. motor, new rods, reels, etc.)

Fishing is becoming suprizingly like golf. After the crappy morning we had, I wanted to sell everything. But after Mike and I went out for a second time, I felt redeemed with the dink I caught.

Because of all the sleep deprivation leading up to and including the tournament, I was pretty much useless on Sunday.

Like Mike said learn something new each time I go out there. Here are some of the things I learned on Sat.:

1) Matt and I need a bigger boat.

2) Bring some Beano.

3) Lay off the caffine and nicotine, Matt and I were completly slap-happy.

4) Even Aris can have a crappy day at the Deep.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Great time as always guys!

I just didnt know what I was doing out there :? :oops:

Kept changing plans when I know just to stick with 1 and eventually it will produce :?

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
I really had a GREAT time at the tourney. Every part of the day was fun for me from meeting and setting up early at the docks to eating and drinking with everyone afterwards.

The fishing was slow but still kept things entertaining. I caught five fish with only two of them being keepers. The only thing that went wrong was when I lost Rudy's 18" hog. I was adjusting the stringer while I was attempting to fasten it to the boat. While doing this I managed to drop the stringer and fish into the water :oops: :cry:. I felt really bad for the poor fish. The fish wouldn't have mattered in the tournament results but it would have put Rudy and I within 2 pounds of the winning total weight.

Here are my two keepers. Both of them were barely over 14".

Here's a pic of the grub: sausage anyone?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.