Chicago Fishing Forum banner

Deep Lake Fishing Report: 8-12-06

6K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  TheOneThatGotAway 
#1 ·
Temps in the 60's-about 80; sunny; east winds 5-8mph; fished from 6am-12pm.

Several of us got together for another WCF fishing outing so I'll let everyone post their own reports.

Tony (#1cubsfan) and fished together and got 4 largemouth bass. Tony caught on at 12" and another at 17.5". That bigger fish was a dandy.

I managed a 12" bass then a lunker 20" largemouth bass. The fight was unbelievable. All were caught on 5" Senko's.

It was a tough bite today, but we managed fish. The high sun and east winds certainly didn't help. I believe between the 4 boats we had out we got 20+ largemouth bass.

See less See more
#3 ·
Great outing today guys! Fished with my Dad. I caught 6 bass, the biggest being 17". My first fish of the day came on a topwater popper maybe 50 yards out from Jack & Lydia's pier. The rest came on 4" Senko's of varying colors. Only one came on the red w/red flake color that was so hot last week. The others came on a watermelon w/ purple flake or red/black laminate color.

My Dad picked up 4 bass, his biggest being a real nice 18". I believe all of his came on a 7" pumkinseed plastic worm with a split-shot about a foot down the line. Most of our bass came on the point, but we picked up a few along the south-east shoreline. Here's a couple of pics.

Rich

#4 ·
booyah! nice bass jay! boy i'm glad you got on some quality fish cause the phone conversation we had before that lunker had me worried. thought you were going to quit fishing for good. congrats bud!

Aris and I ended up with quantity rather than quality today. 5 fish in the boat in the first hour and little by little picked up smaller bass rest of the morning. Total of 10 or so. Our biggest being 14-15".

Nice to meet you Uncle Russ! Ben and John, good having you guys at one of our outings. Hope more can make the next one. :mrgreen:

#5 ·
Great fish guys! Man, all three of the pictures posted before this one are monsters... Especially Jason's 20" fish, nice job dude!

Well, after having crazy motor problems (we switched the motor twice, and our third motor sucked too...) I came out with one dink, my friend John pulled out 4 fish (biggest being about 17") and Ben came out with 2 fish in the 16" range.

What was really cool about today though was that we spent most of our time slop fishing in the crazy thick brown weeds just east of the lily pads up north (and also in the slop by the sand-bar, and the southwestern lily pads). John started throwing out a texas-rigged 4" Sweet-Beaver (whooly hawg tail grub but thicker and wider) and we'd just fish those on top of all that junk and the fish would come out and slam them on the surface. Felt like I was on a bass fishing show even though I didn't catch any fish slop fishin, but John pulled out all of his nicer fish this way. Ben got his two fish on senkos and also hooked and lost a big'un in the slop.

Here are some pics.

#10 ·
Culprit said:
those r some quality fish guys,nice job!
makes me wanna go again tomorrow!
Man, I want to be out there right now fishin loud topwaters!

I'm leavin' for school again in exactly one week... MUST get back out there, lol -- I will most likely be suffering from 'Deep Lake Withdrawal' my first few months back on campus... maybe I'll head up on a few weekend to see the folks and to fish Deep with ya guys.

#11 ·
Hey Tim...

I'm really glad you have had a chance to discover Deep Lake and enjoy it like you have. It's my favorite place to fish and every outing there is like Christmas day to me - the anxiety and excitement - priceless!

I have a feeling you'll be fishing Deep Lake for many years to come.

#12 ·
And to everyone else...

What a nice time these past 3 weeks at Deep Lake! It's really cool to have you guys on the site and enjoying these fishing experiences with me. Like i've said, this site is just a hobby of mine and it's awesome that we have this community of good guys enjoying, learning, and getting on new waters to catch some quality fish.

I'll be in Los Angeles next weekend for some R&R, but maybe the following weekend we can have another pow-wow. Maybe even an all-day and fish to the evening outing at Deep Lake!

#18 ·
After seeing all your reports and pictures, I am really going to make a trip to Deep Lake. I am planning to have a family camping trip (with wife and 2 sons) somewhere nearby, such as Chain-o-Lake State Park next Thursday to Saturday, and see if I can catch anything big. Anybody has any recommendation on what to do when not fishing? Thanks,

Vincent

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.