2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess everybody was too tuckered out to report. :mrgreen:

Results:

Big bass: 4.13 oz
Most bass: 7 bass totaling 15lbs
Biggest other fish: 6.5 lb northern
Biggest panfish: 11.5 inch crappie

Sad to say no WCF won any of the categories above. However, it was an absolute gorgeous day at Deep and had a blast. There's just something about competitive fishing that gets your juices flowing. The strong winds stayed away and left us with a nice little breeze to cool us from the beating sun.

air temps in the lower 70's. water temp 60-61 degrees.

there were a ton of fish caught.

toothdoc and i partnered up for this event and doc was on fire. i basically drove the boat and spotted the fish for doc to catch. it was a good team effort.

doc got 6-7 bass with 4 being keepers and i only got 1 piggy.

just a perfect day for fishing. i had an absolute blast!!!!

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
It was a picture perfect day. Aris and I hooked up for the event but only got 3 bass. We had a plan for the day and stuck to it. Just did not produce the fish we had hoped.

My story of the day was hooking into a monster pike. He was big and strong but got under the boat and "snapped" my pole in two. It was a $100.00 lose.(not including the pole)..... :oops:

Looking back I had 20 lb braided line (ony used once) I knew the line was strong. I knew it was a big fish.... a big "other" winner category for sure.

I played the fish to hard knowing the braid was strong.
I never in my mind thought the 6.6. med action pole would snap like a twig but the pike dove hard under the boat and the drag was
a bit to tight and the pole just popped. (and/or the new braid just dug deep).It happened so fast to me.. ( Tony and Eric were the boat next to us just thinking.... land that thing already... :oops: )

Hooking a monster fish and breaking a pole has never happened to me before. Sure was a moment :shock: I'll never forget.

Here are the pix's

Augy and Doc doing ther BASS Masters look.
(Check out the calm water in the back round we may be back out there
This was not over...hehe)

At the weigh in. The winners catch

Biggest Bass( there were many just a few oz's under this big Bass)
Lots of large fish were caught.

Checking out some stringers as they came in.(Dean, Sean and Rudy)

WCF crew (Tony, Eric, Augy,Doc and Aris)just hanging having a cold one, wating for the cookout
after the tourny.

Thanks Aris for a fun day and letting us know about this great even :lol:

Till next year :twisted: (dang pike kicked my ass) I'll never for get it :lol: I am starting to get a liking for them big tooothy critters :wink:
There a good fighter!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Augy said:
Sad to say no WCF won any of the categories
WCF was 3 for 5 in the raffle pool....LOL

Augy won first.....worth 1/2 the entry fee..... :lol:

Lucky/unLucky is relative...LOL

Thanks to Sean/Rudy(yes Sean....yours was the first winning ticket called buddy!!!(was that the ticket you gave Augy?...) :wink:

Tony and I cleaned up the other 2..... raffle winners :lol:

Oh ya .....The only total nutz to head out "after" the tourny for some nice afternoon fishing were: Me, Augy and Tony.

There was one other boat that thought just like us......
and we exchanged a waved as we headed out first.

"There was still time to go fishing.."

Heck ya...... it was 2:30pm...big blue sky, Light wind , temps in the 70's....a nice day.... WE are heading out!!!!! (a...redo)a perfect afternoon for fishing just after a great lunch and a few cold ones :lol:

Fished from 2:30pm to about 4:30pm...light wind , Sun , It was hot with a clear blue sky....Tony got a nice pike on a spinner bait ..Good call Tony!!!! (been playing it all day but got off it)That's fishing !!!!

It was great to get out after the tourny fish.......Just relax with good friends and great weather...It's been a long winter this year and there was "no way" we were going to head home(after fishing the WWD all winter)...Not yet....it was just .......to nice :wink:

Can't wait to get back to Deep Lake..."Tis the Season"

How about next weekend?

Who is in ???..

Mike

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
It was a good day to be out on the water for sure. It was my first time at Deep and I can say that it will definitely not be my last. It took me a little while to figure out the lake and conditions, but after I did I put Augy on some fish. Sorry Augy that I had to catch most of them. :D

We caught 5 keepers, but lost our biggest fish off the stringer when it was thrashing around. :( I can't wait until next year's Deep tourney.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
I hear ya ....Got home...watched 2 holes of the golf ...next thing I know it's 3:00am again... :shock:

5:00am....Haul all your stuff to the boat ..."Fish" all day...(play the game hard)...get your stuff back to the car ....it's a workout.

Who said fishing was easy :lol:

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Only bad thing,when I unloaded my stuff sunday I discovered I was missing a setup :(

If anyone finds a loomis IMX spinning rod with a TD Advantage reel its mine lol

Guess I left it on the boat or dock lol

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
The tourney was a blast. I should have stayed for the raffle but it was good that someone from WCF got a win out of it!

Rudy and didn't catch any fish over 14" :( . I should have saved this crappie ,it might have won me the biggest in the pan fish category. I didn't measure it so I don't know if it was bigger than 11.5": but it would have been close! He attacked a big green/white spinner I was using.

It was a great day on the water, count me in for next year!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
It sure was a great time. Between all of us we did get some nice fish. Good getting together with you guys. Good to see such a large turn out. I do love Deep Aris turned me onto it about 15 years ago and I have been hooked ever since.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I'm definitely hooked on Deep as well. I would never had found out about it if not for the site! Tim, I'm up for going next week Wednesday. Let me know.

·
Administrator
5,364 Posts
Looks like you all had a great time! That's SO cool! And Tim... you'll be hooked on Deep Lake forever now, just ask the rest of the guys.

Looking forward to some great times at Deep Lake this summer. I'm really glad and happy so many of you have enjoyed this place that I have loved for almost 30 years!

·
Registered
383 Posts
Doc, I'll let you know asap

Just out of curiosity, how'd the whole "using a stringer" work for the tournament? Were all the fish released alive and well?

Last year I gut hooked a bass and killed it at Deep which really got to me, but fortunately Edai and his in-laws were able to eat it. :D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
All of the bass that I saw released looked like they survived. My stringer is one of those metal ones with the clips. The fish was thrashing around and must have opened the clip. :cry:

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Man, looked like an awesome time out there! Good job Guys!!!!

Once the baby comes I should be able to get out further than five minutes away from home and meet up with you guys.

·
Registered
392 Posts
it was really a great day out there. eric missed a nice bass right away when we got to his hot spot we managed a handful of fish only
managed to be keepers. lots of hits and misses :x but i did manage this
pike when we headed back out for 1.5 hours

the pike was caught on a terminator with a trailer

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.