Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got out to deep lake around 6 and fished till 1230.

IT WAS FOGGY, in the middle of the lake you could not see any shore. It was hard to see 25 feet either way THis is what it looked like at 6AM
It was like this until maybe 1030AM.

Today we got a total of 5 bass. I got one on a topwater buzzbait it was about 13-15 inches.

Shortly after the bass i got a huge northern hit on the buzzbait. But i got excited and set the hook to early.

The other bass i caught was on a spinner bait about 13-14 inches.

The other two bass were caught on nightcrawlers and mister twisters.

Biggest bass of the day was 15inches

Fished the north bay and sandbar the whole time. We were the only boats out there until maybe 8AM. (That i could see because of the fog).

We worked everything from dingers, senkos, xraps, ZIP LURES (GOT ONE HIT WITH THAT) and even gulp alive ( got a few short hits). When we did get hits they were like snapping at the lure.

What does the fog do to fish?

Here is the million dollar question for those of you who want to answer this:: Where is the first place you go fish that lake in the morning. Everytime i go there we always fish the north bay. Is the south bay any good.

·
Registered
5,344 Posts
fishinnut28 said:
What does the fog do to fish?

Provides some great cover due to limited light penetration and with low or no wind the fishing should have been outstanding.

One question:

Was the water clear or still stained from all the rain last week?

·
Administrator
5,370 Posts
Nice job out there.

I personally love fishing in early morning fog. Like Mike says, provides cover from the light penetration.

I've fished Deep Lake when the fog is so think, you can't see 5 feet in front of the boat! Very cool.

·
Registered
117 Posts
With a tournament coming Saturday morning, there aren't too many people eager to tell anyone there first place to fish.

The few times I've fished at 6 AM to 7 AM, I would fish just north of Jack and Lydia's hoping to catch fish. At that time of day, the trees on the eastern shore block the sun so there's actually shade covering the docks and the inside weedline.

Having said that, on Saturday, I wouldn't try to fish that spot because I suspect there will be a traffic jam there of other boats thinking the same thing: shady shore and shady weedline means more bass.

I often follow Augie Buleri's advice on where to fish...

Augie was an old fisherman I met when I was 20 years younger fishing Montrose harbor hoping for some perch as cold Autumns became colder Winters. Years ago Augie would catch perch at Montrose and then sell it to Italian restaurants in Melrose Park. People either loved Augie or hated him. Augie gave me a 5 gallon bucket with his name on it for ice fishing. I took it 50 miles north to ice fish for the first time.

Someone almost picked a fight with me because I knew the infamous Augie Buleri who would sit 2 feet from you on the ice if you were catching fish. Augie wasn't very bashful when it came to fishing.

Anyway, when asked "where's the best place to fish?", Augie responded, "Out of the wind Rich, out of the wind." He smiled as he cracked perhaps the oldest fishing joke of all time.

Good advice for the cold fishing days to come.

·
Registered
826 Posts
A while back one of the magazines did a story on clouds and how it indicated the fish mood. I remember being surprised when they claimed that fog wasn't a good time to fish. From that point onward, I have mentally tracked my success in fog. The few times I've fished fog, I haven't been too successful. Just thought I'd throw it out there.

It was actually a real cool article and I wish I still had it.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I don't like fishing in fog because my attention is split between fishing and watching out for mindless boaters with motors. Boaters have their right to be on the water, and so do I.

I was fishing on Deep Lake last month when someone pulling a skier through the water almost ran me over. I yelled and he turned around and saw he was heading straight for me, gave me an obscene gesture, and swerved a bit.

Excuse me for not wanting to be rammed on the water.

I've started carrying a fog horn (paid 10 bucks for it) that I can blow when a boat approaches. I don't intend on blowing it often, but I do intend on using it.

It's hard to fish in fog when your attention is diverted.

·
Registered
161 Posts
kayakrich said:
I don't like fishing in fog because my attention is split between fishing and watching out for mindless boaters with motors. Boaters have their right to be on the water, and so do I.

I was fishing on Deep Lake last month when someone pulling a skier through the water almost ran me over. I yelled and he turned around and saw he was heading straight for me, gave me an obscene gesture, and swerved a bit.

Excuse me for not wanting to be rammed on the water.

I've started carrying a fog horn (paid 10 bucks for it) that I can blow when a boat approaches. I don't intend on blowing it often, but I do intend on using it.

It's hard to fish in fog when your attention is diverted.
:lol: that sucks!
this past weekend we had a tournament on the chain. there was a walleye tournament as well so we had to be real careful with the walleye guys.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.