Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well first of all lets just give everybody a hand that showed up and had to fight the winds all day. :D We also need to give Jack a special thanks for getting us out on the water by 5:10 a.m. that was indeed the earliest start yet for a tourney. We started the day by giving Aris his brand new WCTT AOY Trophey. I had a friend of mine make it for him.

Well like I said we got on the water by 5:10 a.m. everybody was good to go and two minutes in i hook into a nice keeper bass and pop goes the hook. :evil: I knew i shouldn't of downsized the hooks but oh well. Then i think Mike quickly hooked into a bass but wasnt a keeper so we kept moving down the shore to the north. We skipped over Doc and Clancy and boom hooked into another nice bass that also popped off. Casted back into the same area and landed my first bass not a keeper though.
Then I casted right back to the same area in the corner where the dock meets the shore on sand and WHAM!!! nice bass on good hook set and managed to land her thanks to my partner lipping her for me. :D
She managed to weigh 3.6 lbs she was a brute that had me feeling really good about the rest of the day. We didn't really land many more bass till we worked around back south of jack and lydia's. Then we started getting them one after another just nothing big. I got three bass on 4 casts to the same area all 8 - 10 inches and all on spinners I think I was starting to get on something there with the spinners over and through the weeds. :wink: Then right after that we see FishinMatt hook into what looks like a 6lb bass and Yami quickly grabs the net and lands that bad ass. Well that was shortly before weigh in and I think I remember at that point Matt saying he had like 2 keepers. Get to the docks for weigh in everyone gets there about on time. :lol: And this is what the first weigh in looked like.

#1cubsfan - 1 fish (3.6 lbs)
Basscaster - 0 fish
Aris - 1 fish (2.4 lbs)
Toothdoc - 3 fish (2.3 , 1.12 , 2.0 lbs)
FishinMatt - 4 fish (4.2 , 4.2 , 2.14 , 2.1 lbs)
Yami - 1 fish (1.9 lbs)
Clancy - 1 fish (1.15 lbs)
Bassman - 0 fish
Fishkid - 0 fish
Rootpro - 0 fish
Fishthoughts - 1 fish (2.3 lbs)
David - 1 fish (2.4 lbs)

After the weigh in we headed back out for the final two hours and let me say it was well worth it. Mike and I decided we going just set camp on the point and search with the depth finder. Well lets just say that worked quickly landed into a bass not a keeper though but good signs being that it inhaled the spinner bait. So i drop him back in and keep casting, and casting, and casting till darn it got a birds nest. Well I'm picking the birds nest out while my spinner is sitting in about 35 feet of water. Finally get the birds nest out reel up the slack and OH SHIT!!!! I have a monster fish on the end of my line finally get the fish up and bam a 4lb largemouth.

Then all of a sudden same spot Mike hooks into a bigger fish he sets the hook and this bass is just screaming drag off his spool. Then all of a sudden what looks to be an easy 5 - 6lb bass surfaces and does a tail dance and throws Mikes senko back at him. :cry: Well that was about the day there headed back to the docks and ran into the only small problem of the day everyone was confused on what time tourney ended. We finally got everyone in and heres the results for Deep Lake Tourney #3

Tony - 1 fish (3.11 lbs)
Mike - 0 fish
Aris - 0 fish
Tim - 0 fish
FishinMatt - 2 fish (3.0 lbs , 3.6lbs)
Yami - 0 fish
Clancy - 0 fish
Bassman - 0 fish
Fishkid - 0 fish
Rootpro - 1 fish (2.4 lbs)
Fishthoughts - 0 fish
David - 1 fish (2.4lbs)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the awesome report Tony. It was a good turn out and the fishing was surprisingly good after the previous days weather. Congrats to FishinMatt on the win! He deserved it.

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Windy but still worth getting out to Deep Lake. Lots of bass caught
the action was good dispite the weather on Friday.

FishinMatt put on a clinic. Well done Matt .....Contratz !!!!!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Congrat's Matt you made it look easy. As I looked like one of Jerry's Kid's. What a day from hell with that wind. Aris caught like 10 all 13 inch I couldnt belive my eye's all the same size. It was nice to get out there and fish with you guy's again.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Great tourny once again guys !

That was truly some outstanding fishing Matt :shock:
Great job bro !

Thx to Tony for the great job being the official this round :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
This was a great outing. Thanks to Tony for running the show. Congrats to Matt for an impressive showing!

I got there just about 5AM only to find that they ran out of motors. Thanks to the gracious Toothdoc for lending us his spare trolling motor. The winds were a factor. The battery for the trolling motor died just before the 1st weigh-in. We paddled our way back to the dock. The second half was spent just hanging out right outside the boat dock b/c it was impossible to paddle around that lake with the wind. I need to invest in a trolling motor.

I got one small bass and one keeper - 2.3lbs. I was amazed at the number of quality fish that were caught today. The wacky style rig really worked for us.

Here are some photos that I have:

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Sounds like you guys had a great time out there. Tony, that's awesome that you got a trophy for Aris that was awesome! I can't wait to see some pics of fishing matt's fish, did anyone take pictures?

·
Super Moderator
6,230 Posts
Thanks for the kind words guys. It was an enjoyable outing as always. Tony, thanks for the great job as the official. Very well done and organized. Also, for those that actually showed up :p , what a suprise it was to see everyone in the lot at 4:45 AM :shock: Everyone came ready to fish and it showed with the amount of fish caught. It was nice to finally have a day out there where we found a pattern. It took about an hour to get the first keeper, which came in shallow over some thick vegatation. I was not even sure if it was a fish or weeds till it rocketed out of the water. After catching another nice one near Tony, I was fortunate enough to get 2 fish back to back right before the morning weighin to put me at 4 fish. In the afternoon, I kept 2 more for the weighin and also released another keeper and had one in the 5lb range taildance at the boat and throw the hook. Very impressive day for Deep Lake with all the fish weighed in today. That wind was nasty, but we tried our best to use it to are advantage. We actually went threw both of my Trojan batteries by the end of the day. For the next tourny, I'm going to put my money on Yami. :wink: I had the horseshoe Saturday, but knowing him for as long as I have, he is going to come out swinging the next time out.

Tony and Aris with nice keepers at the morning weighin

Here is my first fish caught which was pretty, but did not do me any good.

One of the 4.2's. One was long and skinny and looked to spawned out. The other one was caught out over 15-20 feet of water and looked like it was still prespawn. This was the short fatty.

A 3.5 and 3.0 that were caught in the afternoon

·
Registered
258 Posts
Thanks guys for the great time can't wait until the June outing. It was a great day overall, even if I only brought in one fish. Once Matt was on a roll I basically stayed out of his lane and let he go for the win and I was on stand by for the net. Which I was glad to do!!! I have been fishing with the guy many times and I have never see him on his game like he was that morning. The field is a hard one to beat there are a lot of great anglers out on the lake and for Matt to come and pull away like he did is a great accomplishment. I don't feel this is the last time we'll see him taking our money. I just hope I can join the fun once and awhile. Congrats Matt on great showing.

SHAKE N BAKE

·
Administrator
5,361 Posts
So cool that WCF has produced these great outings/tournaments/get-togethers.

Looks like everyone had an awesome time!

As I was driving to Wrigley at about 10:30am, I was wishing I was with you all. But the Cubbies won and you guys had a great time so all is good!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.