Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hit up deep for a test drive of my new motor. I started off at bps for a clean gas tank, Big al donated the fuel line and bulb so I was set from there. I got to the lake and I think I rented from stosh, Ive still never met Jack, Or maybe Lydia- nobody speaks english around there :p Its a perfect place for a immigrant to come to America- Is there an American version on a Polish lake? I wanna live there!- Polish women :D :D
So I get hooked up with the older gentleman (stosh??) and he drives me and my stuff down a step hill to the boats on a utility 4 wheeler :) I meet a guy down there whos heading out and he has his troller and said he fishes there alot. I mount up my motor and get a workout trying to start it. It wont start, choke in - choke out. I just keep pulling and get it running sporadicly. As that guy pulls off I tell him it worked in a tub and its my first time and its a learning process :? the problem- fuel line wasnt on properly. Im used to the fuel line dumping into the lake in my limited experience (mplants motor) so I didnt initially see it as a problem :oops:

With the fuel line on I was off, and the front of the boat was going straight up into the air! My motor works pretty good! It took a long time and I boated around, fished and circled most of the lake before getting a smaller bass near the apartments. I moved more and it was funny because i seemed to attract the attention of deep lake homowners with the speed I had jacks boat going- I had to be doing 20 mph or more.
I talked to mplant and he was sure of the hotspot for evening so I headed to the inlet by the duck blind. There were active fish over there, it took awhile but I got two fish on in one cast I think. First one came off and the next hit was like 20 yards closer so either it chased it or 2 fish. The one landed was 1 3/4 lbs. Then I got one more on swimbait and missed a few on either swimbait dragged over lillies and scum or a spro frog- the bass had no aim and just kept missing.

I went back sunday and it was a party at Jack and lydias, the place was packed. I had little luck but motored around and fished. The wind picked up and changed directions repeatedly. I helped out some people on a boat that were going backwards rowing. I towed them and it was funny because their boat was never going straight while I towed :) Then they offered me some triple hops beer :lol: :roll: I love hops and miller doesnt have any so I turned it down :) I only got one fish on a spinner and the bass continued to completely miss my lures on the topwater bite.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I never set it, they missed. I think the delay is because they are fidgetyiting it in their mouth to get it down head first. A kicking frogs legs in the gullet cant feel good to a bass :)

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
A kicking frogs legs with a little scent on it and he'll find a way to get it down in the belly... - BPM

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I mean I never got any tension on my line, those fish missed. I dont know what kind of scent you are talking about adding to a theoretical real frogs legs LOL/ I meant to say that the delayed hookset necessary when fishing frogs is because the bass moves the frog aroung in its mouth first and gets it head first before engulfing it. I think maybe.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Theoretically, I see your point... I like to dip all of my plastics in some Gulp juice to keep the bass' attention... And to keep them holding on to their meal... - BPM

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I got a free bag of some gulp turtleback worms off a ebay misdeal. I meant to use them last tourney but now ill try them at deep and look out in 3 weeks...

·
Premium Member
969 Posts
mplant1 said:
you'd be surprised. bass hang onto those rubbery stupid frogs for a long time...
Yeah they do!!! U just gotta make sure to set the hook at a certain point cause u don't wanna hook the fish once it's down his throat and then have him bleed cause u need to get the hook out.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
SPLASH!!! One... Two... SET!!! Hard to do especially with the adrenaline rush of the bite but it works... - BPM

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thats what I said, I never set the hook. This weekend is the first time I tried a frog since I was a kid. that one was like a modern swimbait, hard plastic and jointed, I dunno what kind.
Ill try and get out somewhere this week and get a fish off a frog. I know to wait on hookset and Im trying to work it like winebass did. He was the frog pro from what I saw except busse bass didnt want frogs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.