Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We gave Delavan one final try before she froze up. There had been reports of some shallow eyes, so we tried a few of my best spots for an hour or so before sunrise. We each had a couple nips on jerkbaits, my partner finally landing one just as the sun came up (I will post the pic in a bit). We then tried for pike before the big front came through. In about 3 or 4 hours we caught 4 pike along with a few lost fish and follows. All snakes, with the biggest being b/w 26-28''. Still a good way to end the season. When the front came through it changed the winds from the South to North and dipped temps about 15 degrees in the matter of minutes :shock:

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
good to hear you got your boat out one last time matt. 8) guess you got her all fixed up from the accident.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately not. The truck is still out of commision, but the boat is fine. I was in another friends boat.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Thanks for the report Matt. Looks like no more reports like this until open water in the spring. :(

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Your probably right. My next planned trip is March 15th at Lasalle. Hopefully there will be at least one or two pop up trips to keep me interested.

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I don't think there is any "safe ice" unless you go pretty far north. The weather forcast for the next week doesn't make it look like there is going to be any either.

·
Super Moderator
6,088 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
They were fishing the channel by the boat launch, which is only 3-5 feet deep throughout. Like Doc said though, the water that is left is not looking too good. Traditionally Delavan is a great panfish and pike lake for the ice fisherman.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts