Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had the please to fish Delavan for the first time yesterday with my brother-in-law. The conditions were not the best due to the high water and clarity but it is a really great fishery.

We rented a boat from Geneva Bait and Tackle. That in itself was interesting story. :roll: We got a late start and didn't get on the water until about 7:30 only to find out that there was no wake for the entire lake due to high water. What didn't help matters was that there was a strong wind coming out of the south and there were whitecaps.

We fished the Lake Lawn area and the water was the clarity of chocolate milk. We then headed along the western shore to the south end of the lake working spinnerbaits and buzzbaits. I had a couple of boils with the buzzbaits, but couldn't get any takers. I even had a couple of northerns follow my lure back to the boat.

We finally decided to go to the south end of the lake to get out of the wind where the water was clear. There we found a number of bigger bass on beds but they weren't interested in anything that we had on the menu. So we finally got our first fish on some wacky-rigged Yum Dingers fishing some docks.

After that bite died down I thought that it would be a good idea to go back to the north end of the lake and fish the entrance to the Lake Lawn marina. There we picked up a bunch of fish burning Rat-L-Traps.

This was the biggest one we landed.

I lost another bigger fish at the boat when I decided to pull it out of the water by the line. Note to self: next time don't forget to bring the net.
:roll:

We talked to a number of others out there who also said that the fishing was tough or they were fishing for panfish with bobbers.

·
Registered
953 Posts
Nice fish. :D Despite the rough weather and water conditions it sounds like somewhat successful trip. I will be out there tomorrow giving it a go. I hope the fish are still around when I get there. :roll: I haven't fished in two weeks and I need to get something, anything.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Those are some nice bass. Good to hear it wasnt as bad as it could have been. Thanks for the information on the high cloudy water and no wake. :( I may have to give Geneva a go instead this weekend.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Great job guys, must of been nice to be on a real lake with some fish in it .

Nice fish for sure, I need to do that rental thing for sure :D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for all of the responses. The pike that I saw were all smaller, maybe mid 20's tops.

The boat rental was $63.50 for all day and that included the gas and launch. Although we launched it ourselves and he charged us $11.50 (the cost of the launch) less. They also have a better boat for $100/day.

·
Registered
953 Posts
When I called they said the better boat was being repaired. :evil: Now I have to bring my own trolling motor and fish finder. More stuff to haul along with me. :roll: I guess the good part is that it's a little cheaper this way. I just hope the boat doesn't sink with all of my crap in it. :?

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
toothdoc said:
Thanks guys for all of the responses. The pike that I saw were all smaller, maybe mid 20's tops.

The boat rental was $63.50 for all day and that included the gas and launch. Although we launched it ourselves and he charged us $11.50 (the cost of the launch) less. They also have a better boat for $100/day.
Thanks Tim

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Nice job locsating the bass under such tough conditions. The bait shop owners are very interesting to say the least. But where else can you expect to find a boat and motor at those prices. As you said and my experince with them in the past expect to get on the water at least 30 minutes after the time you agreed too.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.