Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a dead starter battery, the morning got started a little later then I would of liked. A big thanks to Coyote for stopping and loaning me an extra battery. The morning could have been MUCH worse.

I started in my numero uno topwater spot and after a few passes only mustered one bite.

I hopped around to a few more spots and caught some smaller pike on buzzbaits and bucktails.

Before calling it a day I crusied back to numero uno and picked up this 36''.

Final tally for the morning was about a half dozen pike, and for the first time this year, no bass. I contemplated sticking it out all day, but decided to go fish Lake in the Hills w/ Coyote, which turned out to be a good time.

BTW-Nice boat Coyote :)2

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
we we're saying matt that you were the forerunner of the coveted wcf angler of the year award right up until you became MIA. With those sweet northerns looks like your right back on top. welcome back!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Nice Pike! I'm still kicking myself for not going muskie/pike fishing when we were up north of Green Bay 4th of July weekend. Had a hell of a time wet wading for panfish on the Peshtigo though.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the nice welcome back! I have still been fishing, but I have not had much time for reporting. The new job has been limiting my internet time. Its good to be back :wink:

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
I've never fished Geneva before since I don't own a boat. Do they have rentals there? Sounds like it might be a good place for a WCF outing!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
They did I dont know if they still do but the guy opens like 9:00am witch is way to late for that lake By 10:00am the skiers and wave runners are out

·
Premium Member
258 Posts
Not getting very good reports out of Geneva. A few tips, avoid the weekends and Wednesdays, thats when the jack asses come out to play and kill a nice fishing day.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Will, I have heard that nights have been decent for eyes if you can get the bait past the rambos. In the Daytime 25-40 feet with suckers on the steep break for pike, and 26 feet of water on the usual points for the smallies. Of course, this is from guides who have the luxury of spending every single day on the water. It is never that easy for us who only get out once in awhile to find the "spot on the spot" and put em in the boat like they do!!!

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I use to fish in 40 to 50 feet with sucker's for Pike usally got lot's of them I used to fish from 5:00am till about 10:00am The night fishing there used to be unbeliveable and when the smailles are on boy are they on. I work with a guy that has a Ranger I plan on getting out with him this year Hope to have some good pic's

·
Registered
702 Posts
While up north we got a new/old boat, a '55 AlumaCraft 15' deep 'v'! I love it! Threw the 5hp on her and skooted around. But now am prepared for bigger lakes with heavy traffic so we will get up to delevan over the next few weeks! I look forward to a few of those pike!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Matt, how do you fish for the pike at delevan? trolling, casting, and where are the cabbage beds? I hope to get up there in the next few week or so and would love to target pike.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Conditions are always changing there, and honestly this is the toughest time of the year. Lots of the pike are suspended over deeper water munching on panfish, and inactive most of the time.

With that said, there is a couple different methods I would try. A half ounce buzzbait thrown around docks and cabbage early and late in the day will almost always get you some blow-ups of bass, pike, and the occasional musky. Also working large spinnerbaits or bucktails on the deep weededge can be good. Keep the boat is about 16-18 feet and cast uo into 6-8 feet. When you feel you are past the drop-off, either slow your retrieve or let the bait flutter to get it down a little deeper. When the pike are active on the weedlines, this is my #1 method. You can also troll D-10's, and DT-16's in 20-30 feet for the suspended fish. It can be exciting when they are hitting, but boring and gas-guzzling when they are not. Finally, sucker fishing can be good. Take a 1/2 ounce egg weight (or Lindy Rig), and put it above a swivel. Connect a 18-24'' leader (preferably braided), then attach a medium size circle hook. The sucker can be hooked in the back or the lips, depending on what the fish prefer. Last year I had great luck with this, but this year probably only a half dozen fish in limited time. Keep the boat anywhere from 15-30 feet and use a slow troll with the trolling motor to slowly drag your bait over the bottom. Occassionally bass and walleye will hit the suckers as well.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Is there a nearby baitshop with suckers? I like to drop one while casting and if the bite is tougher that may help my time be more productive. Also, how bad is bad as far as boat/fishing traffic on weekends? I probably won't get up there for three weeks but am pretty limited to friday-sundays....

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
From what I have heard, the weekends are a little crazy during the summer months with boat traffic.

·
Super Moderator
6,093 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
toothdoc said:
From what I have heard, the weekends are a little crazy during the summer months with boat traffic.
Without a doubt, but it slows a little bit after Labor Day. There is a bait shop on Rt. 50, right across the street from the public launch that sells suckers. Mid September can be a fun time as the pike get more active with the cooling water.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts