Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ben (Yami Master) and I took our 3rd annual WI Opener trip up to Lake Delavan. After a maddening half day at work, we hit the road at 2P and were checked into the lodge by 4P.

We attempted to scout out water temps, ect, but were chased off the water by thunderstorms. We had some dinner then headed out to do some panfishing from shore.

Panfish were in short supply, but these guys kept smacking our 1/16 ounce jigs. Not what we were expecting and quite a ride on 4 lb. test.

With that kind of unaccepted action the day before, we were stoked for the opener. The only key was water temps. With the the water temps being way behind all the prespawn females were stacked up in a few locations. It was a rare opportunity to whack some the biggest bass in the lake corraled into a few spots. These spots always have good early season action, but the number of big females taken by all boats was just staggering :eek:

Nothing like starting the day off with a double :)2

Not too many smallies this trip, but a few piggies

A few really nice pike. This one took me all over the place on 6 lb. test.

Ben caught this guy trolling a Bionic Bucktail, go figure :p

We also caught a few random eyes with this being the biggest

As you can see in the last 2 pics, we are happy fishermen, but wet and miserable at the same time. In a rare showing of retreat, we packed it in quite early in lieu of Captain Morgan and a nice dinner. After a late nightcap at Augmans room we hit the sack in anticipation of Day 2.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Great Job Boys!!!!!!

What a great opening day, Like everyone else can't wait to see part 2..
With results like that, it makes that cold and rain a little more easier to take.

NPIKE

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Awesome job guys! Cant wait to see the rest of the trip. I imagine that it was incredible. Nice meeting you two also I was trying to get your attention all morning to say Hi. Would have liked to BS a bit but its hard to put the pole down when those piggies are lurking. :D

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Awesome job guys, but those panfish that took those 1/16 ounce jigs? They look something different. :wink:

I don't know what was wrong with those pannies, but they were awfully green :p After seeing the big bass and pike that ourselves and others caught out of that area that weekend, there was no wonder the pannies were not around. Funny thing is that I have caught plenty of crappies there in the past during the early Spring. Trust me, we did not complain 8)

·
Registered
5,340 Posts
Nice job Matt. I keep picking you (as the dark horse)to win a Deep Lake tourny dude......maybe this year :wink:

Them some HAWGS :shock:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Holy crap im pretty jealous. I fish a smaller lake about 30 miles east of Lake Geneva called Powers Lake my buddies girlfriends famlily has a house on the lake and they've got some pigs in that lake, but i dont think i've ever caught fish of that quality that consistently. Congrats guys

·
Registered
3,777 Posts
Wow! :shock: What a day! You guys added another keeper post to the pile from Delavan. Talk about putting a hurt on those fish up there. With outings like that I would have a hard time staying away from that place. Everyone of those fish was impressive. Nice Pike action!

JB

·
Super Moderator
6,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
BassCaster said:
Nice job Matt. I keep picking you (as the dark horse)to win a Deep Lake tourny dude......maybe this year :wink:

Them some HAWGS :shock:
For the 3 I have fished, you guys sure have had my number. I still have some learning to do at that lake. It would also help if I could keep the bigger fish on line :? 2 of the 3 tourneys I have lost fish that probably would of put me over the top. Thats fishing though :p

Thanks for the nice comments guys.

·
Registered
258 Posts
That was a special day of fishing. That prespawn bite is something I have always wanted to experience. It the kind of bite that around here you only get a chance to do every 5 to 10 years all depending on the water temps and late ice out. I'm glad we got to be there for it. Thanks for the comment guys!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.