Chicago Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well was my secound time ever to Delevan. Last years trip had boat problems spent more time with that then fishing.

This year things got off to a bad start. My son left with 1 hr sleep under his belt and a major migran headach. We launched about 7 am and tried working the Island area at all depths searhing for a pike pattern. After about 3hrs of throwing every Pike lure in the tackle box and only 1 hit my son was spent and his migrane at a 10. Everything was in the boat except any type of asperine. After a long lunch, a trip for meds and thank goodness early check in. I was back out solo about 2pm.

Feeling frustrated I needed to get some confidence back up. Went to live bait searching for any type of fish pattern. At the west end of Lakelawn in about 10 ft of water I ran into some aggresive Blue Gills that entertained me for a couple hrs caught about 40 and kept about 20-of the 9" gills. All gills caught in 8 to 10ft on slip bobber 4 ft down on 1/2 crawlers.

I was about to head to pick up my son and I ran into a nice gentleman that turned me on to a live bait pike pattern. He was fishing a presentation he used for walleye the other day and picked up 20 plus pike in the 20 to upper 30 inch range. He was using a single hot pink # 6 or 8 size gamakatsu hook and single split shot and worm working 14 to 15 ft edge. I had worked this area with minnows earlyer with no results. At first I thought he was pulling my leg but then he nails a mid 20 incher right in front of me.

Well picked up my son and we worked the pattern till sunset and picked up 5 in the mid 20's.

The next morning we worked the same pattern with a few bite offs. I switched to a slip bobber 12ft down in 15ft of water and hit about 5 the biggest was 28" my son only had one but lost a big one while netting one of mine his pole doubled over when he grabed the rod the line snapped. We were using light line and no leader so we did lose some.

I would have never attempted fishing for Pike in this manner especally with night crawlers. I dont know if we would have figuared out something else on our own. Thanks to the gentleman that saved us from what could have been a frustrating outting.

Here are a few pictures.

Hope pictures download turned out NPIKE

·
Registered
2,402 Posts
Nice pike man! That's crazy that the pike were hitting crawlers. My buddy caught a pike on a plastic worm before, but I thought it was a fluke. Looks like you guys ended up having a great time.

553 Posts
Wow, those are some nice fish. I agree that it's crazy that the pike were hitting nightcrawlers but at least you got your hands on them. Every time I plan on going fishing I tell myself I'm going to bed early but it never happens like that and I end up sleeping anywhere from three to four hours, and than I wake up really cranky.Hahaha. :lol: Great Job! :D :D

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The worm thing is the last thing in the world I would have tried to target pike. We tried different size minnows and I even dragged some 6 to 8 inch suckers on a different rod at the same time with no results. The key was 14 to 15 ft sparce weeds as soon as we got into 13 ft or less with thicker weed the small panfish would peck away at the crawlers.

NPIKE

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Gutterball said:
They REALLY like leeches too. When it gets really hot them seem to eat smaller slower moving bait
Absolutely. I lost a pike 2 years ago at Delavan on a leech that was bigger then my 43''. Also several mid 30's fish there on them.

Congrats on the great catch NPike. I think you are hit a really small window to get them like that. I have got them on crawlers before (not like that though), along with eyes, but usually the gills are all over the crawlers (hence using the leeches). When the gills go deep soon you won't be able to fish a crawler under 30' w/o getting gills every time.

As far fetched as the crawler pattern goes, it actually is not. The pike are typically at the 12-18 foot depths this time of year. They are down in the weeds and can't really see squat with the algae bloom. The hot colored hook and crawler is such an easy slow moving meal, they could not resist. Gonna have to add this one to the arsenal for June. I guess an old dog can learn new tricks too :wink:

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
FishinMatt wrote
I think you are hit a really small window to get them like that. I have got them on crawlers before (not like that though), along with eyes, but usually the gills are all over the crawlers (hence using the leeches). When the gills go deep soon you won't be able to fish a crawler under 30' w/o getting gills every time.
We were trying to figuar out if the gills were staying at 13 ft or lower because of spawn or that the weeds were so sparce at 14 the didnt have cover to hid from roaming pike. I picked up one of those $79 manard specal Aqua Cams and my son started playing with it to observe what was happening. You called it right while pike were in both areas the crawler just wouldn't be there long enough by the gills. Anouther thing I found odd was the pike were biting like walleye stright down rarely slaming it. On the slip bobber looked like a crappie bite where the float would slowly go down a foot or less then sit there. NPIKE

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
way to recover and catch some nice torpedos! pike have to be the coolest fish in fresh water. i love the spot patterns and the green/brown coloring. looks like such a badass! muskies may have the size but northerns have the look. :mrgreen:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.